Thoughts on Aston, S26

ah ok..

We've been looking further up where Aughton Lane meets Worksop rd

Edited by Mr Meadows

The Chase is much nicer than the Wetherby estate, certainly quieter

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 22:40 ----------

A bit unfair Alchresearch, a father and son washing a road legal quad could be on any street in Sheffield!

It's a decent area. Like others have said, very close to the motorway, crystal peaks, meadow hall, sheffield, rotherham. It is under RMBC rather than SCC but that is a good thing as taxes are lower and they aren't quite the set of muppets that SCC are. Not sure about that particular area but certainly in our own area we even received regular visits from the gritters during winter despite being on a very quiet cul de sac. Speaking from experience, this is quite the contrast to SCC.

My ancestors lived in Aston, Aughton, Swallownest, Todwick Ulley, virtually since time began, many of them are buried in Todwick and Aston cemeteries, including Sir Harduph Wasteney - Baronet.

I was born in Swallownest - July 1940, and lived there until 1967 when my job took me to Driffield in East Youshire. Then on to Malaysia in 2006.

Then the villages were all much smaller and the various villages were separate from each other

If you would like to know more about the area and some of the history, including pictures, go to web site http://www.j31.co.uk the j31 refers to Junction 31 on the Mortorway. Site is by Jonathan Lane, friend of mine from our Woodhouse Grammar School Days. Contains a lot of usefull information about the various villages and the area in general - a "must read" if moving into the area

This is not a web site many people know of, and is a spin off from the original Woodhouse Grammar School web site

As others have said, there are a few "bad eggs" around, but that is the case everywhere now

On balance, it would be a good move for you to make

Best Regards and Bon Chance - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

ah ok..

We've been looking further up where Aughton Lane meets Worksop rd

So not far from where I live currently. Most of it is owner-occupy in that part of the 'village' but there are the odd 'council' houses. Most of the social housing is further towards Aughton/Swallownest.

Most of the social housing tenants are good, decent folk who've lived here for years, it's just the odd set we have to contend with.

The school has great results and is always given high ofstead remarks.

I see the school scored 'outstanding' when it was last inspected but has since been converted to an academy, however I was under the impression that it was the poorly performing schools that were changed to academies?

Nope, many schools became academies to get away from the ties of the local council.

Can't speak for all but some are very inefficient and can force you into doing things a certain way. For example they may state that you must use a certain provider for IT equipment or printer consumables - a provider that isn't necessarily the best or cheapest.

But this doesn't sell newspapers. Stories about failing schools becoming academies does, along with the political point scoring depending on the bias of the paper.

I see the school scored 'outstanding' when it was last inspected but has since been converted to an academy, however I was under the impression that it was the poorly performing schools that were changed to academies?

Initially academies were schools that were failing but that has since been changed and "outstanding" schools can now also convert.

As academies they get more control over how the school is run rather than the local authority running the show.

I went there whilst it was still Comprehensive and the school had an excellent reputation. Now it's an academy I get the impression that the reputation is tarnished from my youngest sister who's just left 6th form there.

---------- Post added 04-09-2013 at 14:55 ----------

Nope, many schools became academies to get away from the ties of the local council.

Can't speak for all but some are very inefficient and can force you into doing things a certain way. For example they may state that you must use a certain provider for IT equipment or printer consumables - a provider that isn't necessarily the best or cheapest.

But this doesn't sell newspapers. Stories about failing schools becoming academies does, along with the political point scoring depending on the bias of the paper.

This wasn't the case when I was at my comprehensive. I also worked as an "apprentice" with the IT tech support dept in my school and we just ordered the equipment from where we wanted.

That's why I said "some". BSF rebuilt schools will be tied into a certain provider for three years at least.

my friend lives on Lodge lane and its generally ok, the bungalows near the shops have suffered with some yob behaviour however and gangs of youths at night, resulting in police attendance, but its not all the time, and its often prompted a fairly quick response from the police.

one of the previous posts also mentioned the quad biker, he seriously needs reporting to the police as his favourite trick is 50-60mph blats up and down lodge lane on a quiet sunday afternoon, inbetween the speed humps, making a right racket. hes middle aged at best and should have a few more brain cells than that you'd hope.

Good area with decentish schools and isn't far from amenities. Closer to Rotherham than it is Sheffield which means public services are under RMBC rather than SCC.

Strange logic - it just so happens to be where the boundary is drawn, sod all to do with distance automatically being a factor. A good local example to disprove your statement: Tinsley is closer to Rotherham yet is administered by Sheffield.