Thoughts on Aston, S26

What are people thoughts on this area, we are moving from Manchester and have looked at a couple of houses near Aston Hall and one near 'The Chase'.

We have 2 young children, one who will be starting school next year, we are looking for a nice quiet family area with good schools.

Have lived here 36 years, loved every minute of it, well almost.

Nice area in my opinion... I've just bought a house on the new brook meadows estate. I've lives in Sheffield all my life and it is a decent area, it's close to the motorway and close enough to meadow hall and the city centre but far enough out so your near chesterfield and Worksop too

Ive lived in S26 for ten years. Ive never had any problems until last week when someone broke into our house and stole our car whilst we slept. That said I do appreciate that it was an isolated incident and that these things could happen anywhere.

The schools round here are nice and the secondary is supposed to be doing well.

Good area with decentish schools and isn't far from amenities. Closer to Rotherham than it is Sheffield which means public services are under RMBC rather than SCC.

It used to be an excellent area to live in. All the scrotes were generally contained by housing them on the "Doctor's estate" but a silly idea that the housing officers took on changed that (put bad families amongst good one and they'll change their ways)

I used to have a house on Duckham, bought it for when my kids came over at weekends (ironically in this case from Manchester!) because it was such a great area for kids. The only trouble I ever had was when my car wheels got nicked off the car on the drive while I was in bed and car theft does seem to be an issue with the thieves coming in from Rotherham. Other than that, great place to live.

I have lived in aston for almost 40 years and generally it is a lovely place tto live, with open countryside nearby, decent schools and other amenities and near m1 if you need it.like most other areas nowadays it is occasionally spoilt by the activities of the small number of scroats but ther are many much worse places.a definite yes then!

Went up there to Agent Orange's wedding the other week. It's like a small pit town out of the way. Saw a thug riding around the streets on a quad bike late at night in the pouring rain, but other than that ....

My mum and dad have lived there for the best part of 40 years and I grew up there.

I think it's a good place. Relatively easy access to Sheffield, Rotherham and the M1. Crime not too bad (occasional break in but you get that anywhere). Bus service acceptable but not amazing. I think the local schools are ok.

My mum and dad are happy enough there as is everyone else I know in the area.

Good luck with the move.

My wife and I have lived in the area for 41 years (12 in Swallownest and 29 in Aughton) and managed to bring up 2 well adjusted children so it can't be bad. They went to Aughton J&I and Aston Comp (now the academy)

I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else in Sheffield.

As well as the good transport links and the easy accessibility to the motorways, we have found it good to be able to get out into the countryside within minutes and spent a lot of leisure time around the Clumber, Sherwood, Thoresby and Rufford areas.

I can also get to Hillsborough in about 30 minutes but you have to take the rough with the smooth !

Good area with decentish schools and isn't far from amenities. Closer to Rotherham than it is Sheffield which means public services are under RMBC rather than SCC.

It used to be an excellent area to live in. All the scrotes were generally contained by housing them on the "Doctor's estate" but a silly idea that the housing officers took on changed that (put bad families amongst good one and they'll change their ways)

Thanks for all the replies..

I was under the impression certainly most of the area was private housing?

and note the secondary school is now an academy, is this good or bad?

Nah, just look at the roads which run off Lodge Lane, which is just behind The Chase - Hepworth Drive to Florence Avenue.

That doesn't necessarily mean its a bad thing.

Although I think this Streetview image captures it perfectly!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=aston,+sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.362084,-1.315323&spn=0.005103,0.013937&sll=54.583454,-1.563148&sspn=0.079286,0.222988&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.362082,-1.315022&panoid=OcOP7ow4HYc51A1s6x1p8Q&cbp=12,245.7,,0,13.82

Maybe have a look further over at Swallow Wood Road or Wetherby Drive