Negligence of vet..

Please do not take your Animals to be seen at the Vets at ECKINGTON, TOTLEY OR BOLSOVER (no names) but easy to work out with a bit of googling.

I took my 12 year old rottweiler down for and old lady check and the vet discovered a hard lump on her head, he advised a three point course of action which I agreed to, the first part being a blood test.

He took samples of blood from her neck and rang me the next day with the results.

A day or so after that I noticed a strange smell coming from my rottie so went to investigate and was disgusted to see her neck had swollen up and was weeping a yellow puss.

I immediately contacted the vets who admitted it was possibly from the blood sample site and advised me to hibi scrub the area, I did this twice a day for several days but the wound got bigger, I rang the vets again and was told to bring her in but I would have to pay for a consultation and any treatment. I point blank refused and as they had already admitted liability they agreed to see her free of charge.

The vet injected her with steroid and told me to continue with the hibi scrub which I have done, they area around her neck is now in a real mess and she is breathing rapidly and staring at the walls in a dazed state, I have rang the vets tonight who have refused to see or treat her until I pay a consultation fee and for treatment they have already admitted they have caused.

I am absolutely disgusted by this and want to warn other people to stay well clear of these beasts!

My beloved dog is now in a whole lot of pain and aggrivation from something they have caused and I am facing massive vet bills to put it right.

I have photos but do not know how to put them up on here.

Just do not know what to do next :(

The smell/pus, was that not from the original lump then, or was it a totally different area?

The smell/pus, was that not from the original lump then, or was it a totally different area?

The lump is on the top of her head, the vets took blood from her neck which is where the smell has come from and all the puss.

well I think you need to get treatment for her , It is only like a human having a lumber puncture and getting Meningitis, its not totally their fault its germs that are airborne which are the problem , Hibiscrub is good , If she is ill please take her to a vet and not allow her to suffer , Peak vets in woodseats are brilliant vets , I know it means travelling but its not far by car.

well I think you need to get treatment for her , It is only like a human having a lumber puncture and getting Meningitis, its not totally their fault its germs that are airborne which are the problem , Hibiscrub is good , If she is ill please take her to a vet and not allow her to suffer , Peak vets in woodseats are brilliant vets , I know it means travelling but its not far by car.

She is going to the vets tonight to get treatment but I am so mad that they have caused this and I have to pay for their mess :(

That's true, I don't think you can expect to get further treatment for free but charging further consult fees seems wrong as it's part of an ongoing issue surely :confused:

I know when I had to take my dog in following her spay as an emergency, we weren't charged a consult but just paid for the extra meds... seemed fair to me. That was at Abbey vets.

My point is she has had countless bloods done over the years and always from the leg without any issues whatsoever, they take it from the neck and she ends up in a real mess through it, if I was told of possible complications then I would have insisted she had them done through the leg vein rather than a main artery in her neck which has now swollen to a massive size.

My point is she has had countless bloods done over the years and always from the leg without any issues whatsoever, they take it from the neck and she ends up in a real mess through it, if I was told of possible complications then I would have insisted she had them done through the leg vein rather than a main artery in her neck which has now swollen to a massive size.

I think you're being unreasonable actually.

Unless you say them use a dirty needle for the blood test - and I don't think you did, how can you say it's negligence?

Infections can and do occur sometimes even when reasonable precautions have been taken.

I think it was good of the vet to let you have the steroid injection free, but why do you suppose they should let you have a whole course of treatment for nothing?

Your dog sounds like it's becoming seriously ill now and probably needs antibiotics. My advice would be to realise that sometimes bad things happen that aren't anyone's fault and take your dog back to the vets and pay up.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 17:59 ----------

She is going to the vets tonight to get treatment but I am so mad that they have caused this and I have to pay for their mess :(

You've got absolutely no reason to blame the vet for your dog being ill - these things happen sometimes through no - ones fault.

As I said before, unless you saw a dirty needle being reused or some other breach of good practice, it's extremely unkind and unfair to blame the vet - never mind publically slating them and telling people to take their pets elsewhere.

I believe the vets at Totley is no longer connected to the other two practices and has been owned by someone else for some time. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I too had an issue with the previous vets , but it would be unfair for the current practice to be blamed for this.

I think you're being unreasonable actually.

Unless you say them use a dirty needle for the blood test - and I don't think you did, how can you say it's negligence?

Infections can and do occur sometimes even when reasonable precautions have been taken.

I think it was good of the vet to let you have the steroid injection free, but why do you suppose they should let you have a whole course of treatment for nothing?

Your dog sounds like it's becoming seriously ill now and probably needs antibiotics. My advice would be to realise that sometimes bad things happen that aren't anyone's fault and take your dog back to the vets and pay up.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 17:59 ----------

You've got absolutely no reason to blame the vet for your dog being ill - these things happen sometimes through no - ones fault.

As I said before, unless you saw a dirty needle being reused or some other breach of good practice, it's extremely unkind and unfair to blame the vet - never mind publically slating them and telling people to take their pets elsewhere.

Do you think it is good practice NOT to swab the animal down before taking blood then?

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 20:43 ----------

She has been to the vets at Totley and been seen by the head vet James who was very good and very explanatory and is now on a course of anti biotics ...

The vet who took the bloods is leaving the practice at the end of the week, make of that what you will.

Please do not take your Animals to be seen at the Vets at ECKINGTON, TOTLEY OR BOLSOVER (no names) but easy to work out with a bit of googling.

I took my 12 year old rottweiler down for and old lady check and the vet discovered a hard lump on her head, he advised a three point course of action which I agreed to, the first part being a blood test.

He took samples of blood from her neck and rang me the next day with the results.

A day or so after that I noticed a strange smell coming from my rottie so went to investigate and was disgusted to see her neck had swollen up and was weeping a yellow puss.

I immediately contacted the vets who admitted it was possibly from the blood sample site and advised me to hibi scrub the area, I did this twice a day for several days but the wound got bigger, I rang the vets again and was told to bring her in but I would have to pay for a consultation and any treatment. I point blank refused and as they had already admitted liability they agreed to see her free of charge.

The vet injected her with steroid and told me to continue with the hibi scrub which I have done, they area around her neck is now in a real mess and she is breathing rapidly and staring at the walls in a dazed state, I have rang the vets tonight who have refused to see or treat her until I pay a consultation fee and for treatment they have already admitted they have caused.

I am absolutely disgusted by this and want to warn other people to stay well clear of these beasts!

My beloved dog is now in a whole lot of pain and aggrivation from something they have caused and I am facing massive vet bills to put it right.

I have photos but do not know how to put them up on here.

Just do not know what to do next :(

Not as serious as this, but I had a similar incident last November at one of those named vets practices. I ended up paying for treatment and medication for their negligence following an operation; I will never take my dogs there again. I now go to Park Vets on Abbeydale Road South

Not as serious as this, but I had a similar incident last November at one of those named vets practices. I ended up paying for treatment and medication for their negligence following an operation; I will never take my dogs there again. I now go to Park Vets on Abbeydale Road South

It is amazing how many people have had bad experiences at these vets, I shall never take my dog back there again :(

She is now on antibiotics and is resting a little easier but I am still real mad about it all.