They're back..September is SPIDER month

12 minutes ago, melthebell said:

i want one of these for the dog lol

https://ohioh.shop/products/halloween-spider-costume-for-dogs-cats-adjustable-neck-paste-buckle

scroll down and watch the video...so funny

Ha! Ha! Ha!

That's brilliant.     I'd have a heart attack if that came running towards me.       🤣

2 minutes ago, francypants said:

Ha! Ha! Ha!

That's brilliant.     I'd have a heart attack if that came running towards me.       🤣

Even if it was yours and you knew, that running across the field and jumping up at you would still be a bit scary lol

On 01/10/2019 at 10:03, Padders said:

I swear by the conker theory, my late wife and I used to go out collecting conkers.. she would spread them all round the house, never saw a spider.. Don"t bother now and the spiders are back, not that it bothers me.. 

Don"t these spider repellents have some sort of Horse Chestnut ingredient in them.

I haven't seen a spider in my house in months but I haven't put down any conkers - so surely that means not putting down conkers keeps spiders away?

Several studies have been carried out by universities and the findings were that spiders don't give a hoot about  conkers.

For a quick, simple test see this video done by school kids. Given the option of climbing over a small branch or a sea of conkers, spiders chose the conkers (if anything, that may be a link suggesting that they like conkers 😁)

It could well be that some spider repellent brand claims the use of a chestnut extract, it would likely be a good selling point seeing as so many people believe the old wives' tale.

29 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

I haven't seen a spider in my house in months but I haven't put down any conkers - so surely that means not putting down conkers keeps spiders away?

Several studies have been carried out by universities and the findings were that spiders don't give a hoot about  conkers.

For a quick, simple test see this video done by school kids. Given the option of climbing over a small branch or a sea of conkers, spiders chose the conkers (if anything, that may be a link suggesting that they like conkers 😁)

It could well be that some spider repellent brand claims the use of a chestnut extract, it would likely be a good selling point seeing as so many people believe the old wives' tale.

Very interesting  RB.. makes me wonder.. watched a couple of other videos which proves your point..

Seem to go to a lot of trouble to disprove an old wives tale. thanks anyway.

There is a rhyme"If you wish to live and thrive, let a spider run alive"

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Or in my case

If you want to live unafraid, get someone to hit it with a spade.:hihi:  I'm only joking.  I can't hurt a spider myself, but I really am afraid of them. 

I had one of those perspex catcher things with a long handle, son broke it and I've not seen one since

I have a vaccuum cleaner Cressy and if I can't get to it and O/H isn't in, a neighbour with a  car vac that deals with them for me

On 01/10/2019 at 11:03, Padders said:

I swear by the conker theory, my late wife and I used to go out collecting conkers.. she would spread them all round the house, never saw a spider.. Don"t bother now and the spiders are back, not that it bothers me.. 

Don"t these spider repellents have some sort of Horse Chestnut ingredient in them.

Agree about the conkers.  I've read they give off some gas that spiders don't like but at the end of the day, like them or not, imagine a world without spiders? 

Flies everywhere. 

23 hours ago, Padders said:

Very interesting  RB.. makes me wonder.. watched a couple of other videos which proves your point..

Seem to go to a lot of trouble to disprove an old wives tale. thanks anyway.

Promoting rational thought and helping to break the perpetuation of nonsense is always a worthwhile cause 😄

All too often people conflate coincidence with correlation.

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Agree about the conkers.  I've read they give off some gas that spiders don't like but at the end of the day, like them or not, imagine a world without spiders? 

Flies everywhere. 

Conkers don't give off a gas that repels spiders (at least, not in their regular form, it may be possible that such a gas is given off when they are in a state of decomposition, but unlikely).

See post #159

On 01/10/2019 at 13:40, melthebell said:

i want one of these for the dog lol

https://ohioh.shop/products/halloween-spider-costume-for-dogs-cats-adjustable-neck-paste-buckle

scroll down and watch the video...so funny

No Mel....THIS is the one you want.!

I choked on me beer at this.... it's so funny...:D

18 hours ago, cressida said:

I had one of those perspex catcher things with a long handle, son broke it and I've not seen one since

Another comment I find very funny  :D (I have a very broad sense of humour..!):D

What do you do with them once caught in 'said ( Once owned) perspex catcher?:D

20 hours ago, cressida said:

Do keep up Dear...See post #150 :thumbsup: