Outo Kumpu on Shepcote Lane

Over the weekend someone told me that the entire plant on shepcote is being closed, does anyone know anything about this.

The person that told me wasn't somebody with any authority at Outo Kumpo so it could be totally untrue before anyone starts panicing.

it is closing down - hallam fm are in the process of helping the current employees there find other work

they are apparently re locating works to finland

Coil Products is being closed down.

Finishing at the Trade Centre and Rolling Mills will be shut down and the melt shop will run at reduced capacity. The distribution centre will remain open.

The company structure is complicated, so I don't know about the impact on the other smaller processing plants in Sheffield.

In addition to the Outokumpu staff who will lose their jobs, it should be realised that many non-production roles e.g cleaners, caterers, draughtsmen, project engineers, drivers and crane operators will not appear on the official figures as they are not on the Outokumpu payroll, though they will lose their jobs just the same.

670 staff in total will lose their jobs at Coil Products Sheffield. The other OutoKumpu sites across Sheffield and the rest of the country are not, at present, under threat.

I Finnish here on Friday.

it is closing down - hallam fm are in the process of helping the current employees there find other work

they are apparently re locating works to finland

I am the job searcher at Outokumpu and as far as i am aware, Hallam FM haven't had anything to do with the current situation.

The staff that are being made redundant are being supported by an outplacement consultancy firm which involves CV workshops, a jobs board, access to computers, advise about funding and retraining.

sorry i spoke to a lady from hallam fm who was organising one of these find a job days and thats what she told me

they said they went to visit outo kumpo a couple of weeks ago and were helping those being made redundant

I have a house adjoining the site (Greasbro Road). The place has been almost deserted at night times. It is busier in the day - i dont know any locals that work there anymore. Good riddance as far as im concerned. There was no point keeping it going when it was first sold by British Steel to Avesta. The local area lacks basic amenities like a Secondary school, takeways, decent library etc who would want to work there unless you are willing to commute?

sorry i spoke to a lady from hallam fm who was organising one of these find a job days and thats what she told me

they said they went to visit outo kumpo a couple of weeks ago and were helping those being made redundant

We advertised the Hallam Fm find a job day in our careers centre and i believe that quite a number of our staff went to visit the event. Therefore, the jobs fair was of use to Outokumpu staff, but was not set up exclusively for them.