Sheffield Town Centre What a Dump

You went for a day out in the worst run down trampy part of town.

If you had walked 5 mins up to the peace gardens there are lots of nice restaurants, bars & coffee shops.

You only have yourself to blame.

Totally agree.

Why choose the worst part of the City Centre to walk around unless done deliberately?

You didn't bother to walk up the hill to Fargate, the peace gardens, Barkers Pool and the Devonshire quarter ?

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 09:39 ----------

The last time I was in the centre it looked more like a war zone than a shopping centre and its a total dump .....................we had some good times shopping in the centre and I remember the hole in the road

---------- Post added 01-09-2013 at 17:58 ----------

Was that the same of the hen a chickens then lots of solicitors and policemen went in there didn`t stop the odd deal going on .............x

The hole in the road was just that - a hive of criminality in the 70's and 80's. You wouldn't have dared walk down there during the hours of darkness.

Short memory and rose tinted specs I fear.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 09:41 ----------

Hi I came back to Sheffield mid to late August this year to visit the meat and fish market to get what was once the best place for fresh crabs and shellfish.

All most of it has gone, I walked towards wher the Sets was all I could see was street traders outside what was shops very dissapointed as a Sheffielder born and bred.

I decided to go for a pint all the local pubs were boarded up around the Castel Market, so I walked towards what was Marpels, what a depressed place the main Post Office Building all boarded up and falling into an eyesore, The iconic Red Telephone Boxes removed the square was Betting Shops and Gold Shops.

I finished up at the Penny Black at Pond Street and it was just a changing room for people who were due in court.

I parked in the car park under what was the Top Rank and paid £8 for less than 2 hours.

I will allways defend my home Town, but it is difficult when I see what it has become.

Maybee I am looking back to the late 60's to the 80's when it was a City to be proud of sadly it is turning into a neglected place.

I doubt I will think again of returning to the City that was the Capital of Yorkshire.

Sandie

:wave:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 09:49 ----------

Note to mods - why is this thread in the Sheffield History section?:confused:

Edited by Daven

I totally agree, I live in lancashire now near Liverpool.I came back for a visit and Sheffield is depressing.I'm proud to have come from there but I would never come back to live.

Hi Plain Talker,

Thanks for your reply, but regardles of the new development on the Moor the rest of we all remember as the Town Centre "Hole in the Road" and the market area or has that part of town now become not worth cleaning up and putting back to how it was.

You talk of the Cannon and others closed down due to criminal activity, but is so close to the police headquarters and it would appear to have be overlooked.

You go to the Moor, The Pump, Nelson and as you get to Moorfoot along side the Goverment DWP or what it is called the pubs there are not one's of type you would find in a Famous and City such as Sheffield.

My comments are based on the visit I made and I was not impressed with what I saw. I will and always defended the City I was born and will continue to do so, but that does not stop me passing comment.

Take Care Plain Talker

Totally agree.

Why choose the worst part of the City Centre to walk around unless done deliberately?

You didn't bother to walk up the hill to Fargate, the peace gardens, Barkers Pool and the Devonshire quarter ?

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 09:39 ----------

The hole in the road was just that - a hive of criminality in the 70's and 80's. You wouldn't have dared walk down there during the hours of darkness.

Short memory and rose tinted specs I fear.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 09:41 ----------

:wave:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 09:49 ----------

Note to mods - why is this thread in the Sheffield History section?:confused:

I worked in the centre of Sheffield and never had a problem walking under the hole in the road actually from the pubs to the night clubs .......x Town wasn`t the dump it is now.I love Sheffield but hate what it has become.I`m proud to say I`m from Sheffield ........but that was the Sheffield I knew not the dirty un kept place it is now and some of that is down to the city council............x

Edited by sand_dollars

I worked in the centre of Sheffield and never had a problem walking under the hole in the road actually from the pubs to the night clubs .......x Town wasn`t the dump it is now.I love Sheffield but hate what it has become.I`m proud to say I`m from Sheffield ........but that was the Sheffield I knew not the dirty un kept place it is now and some of that is down to the city council............x

It's no different to any other large city centre though.

I remember Sheffield in the 60's and it was a very dirty place then - smog, effluent floating on the rivers and rubbish blowing around the city centre. A different Sheffield to the one you remember.............x

What's this thread doing in the History section btw ?

Err.....Probably because it is an ex pats point of view.

This is the "history and ex pats" section.

Oh.....and I wouldn't return to live either.

It's no different to any other large city centre though.

I remember Sheffield in the 60's and it was a very dirty place then - smog, effluent floating on the rivers and rubbish blowing around the city centre. A different Sheffield to the one you remember.............x

Where did I say it was any different .......I didn`t and yes I remember Sheffield when it was dark and dirty and smog filled nights so thick it was very hard to see in front of you .I also remember the clean air act coming into force and everything seemed bright .Sheffield have a good buzz about it and I`m not looking at it through rose coloured glasses either .

I remember the long hot summers that never seemed to end ,the walks up fargate to the peace gardens the hussel and bussel of the markets YES I remember what Sheffield was like .....and NO I`d never return to the sqaller it is now ......Yes they may have large office blocks but the heart has gone out of the city no longer a community as it was ........... So you can say I do know a little about it ............x

Edited by sand_dollars

Where did I say it was any different .......I didn`t and yes I remember Sheffield when it was dark and dirty and smog filled nights so thick it was very hard to see in front of you .I also remember the clean air act coming into force and everything seemed bright .Sheffield have a good buzz about it and I`m not looking at it through rose coloured glasses either .

I remember the long hot summers that never seemed to end ,the walks up fargate to the peace gardens the hussel and bussel of the markets YES I remember what Sheffield was like .....and NO I`d never return to the sqaller it is now ......Yes they may have large office blocks but the heart has gone out of the city no longer a community as it was ........... So you can say I do know a little about it ............x

You can say the same about Rotherham Sand Dollars its a sh*t hole of the place it once was,oh can someone remind me what political parties are in charge of both these places,ok ime sitting tight.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

You can say the same about Rotherham Sand Dollars its a sh*t hole of the place it once was,oh can someone remind me what political parties are in charge of both these places,ok ime sitting tight.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I have to agree with you lots of towns and cities have gone into decline .its a real shame ,but wherever in the world I am if i`m asked where I come from I say with Pride Sheffield ,but I`d never live there again I still own property there but we mainly live across the pond in a southern direction .........x

Hi I came back to Sheffield mid to late August this year to visit the meat and fish market to get what was once the best place for fresh crabs and shellfish.

All most of it has gone, I walked towards wher the Sets was all I could see was street traders outside what was shops very dissapointed as a Sheffielder born and bred.

I decided to go for a pint all the local pubs were boarded up around the Castel Market, so I walked towards what was Marpels, what a depressed place the main Post Office Building all boarded up and falling into an eyesore, The iconic Red Telephone Boxes removed the square was Betting Shops and Gold Shops.

I finished up at the Penny Black at Pond Street and it was just a changing room for people who were due in court.

I parked in the car park under what was the Top Rank and paid £8 for less than 2 hours.

I will allways defend my home Town, but it is difficult when I see what it has become.

Maybee I am looking back to the late 60's to the 80's when it was a City to be proud of sadly it is turning into a neglected place.

I doubt I will think again of returning to the City that was the Capital of Yorkshire.

Sandie

Sandie .

I fully endorse your comments.

I have put a new thread on general discussion entitled Sheffield - is it so bad ? following a visit last Saturday.

I visited the "Penny Black "for the first time in years , it having been a local when I worked at the GPO sorting office . I had to get out .Both the pub and its clientele was depressing to say the least.

We then went to the old " Queens Head ". Whoever has redesigned and revamped the place should be strung up outside . It is now nothing short of a plastic repro. of what someones idea of a modern pub may be like . It has totally lost any character for which it was renowned . There was only staff in the place- no customers . We just got through the door and the staff rose from their seats as if relieved to see some potential customers . We just threw our arms up in despair and walked out .

People think that you are being over critical by these remarks but I don't think that is so . When you live with something day in day out you tend to see things differently from those who make infrequent visits .

Yes, it seems the City Council are very good at getting it all so wrong. Good at wasting our money,good at bunking up parking prices,good at building Sports Arenas they can't afford to maintain,good at screwing us for money while cutting services,and then directing all the local trade out of town and up to Meadowhall. Yes they are very good at "ideas"....sadly all they have done is ruined a City that was once full of life and turned it into a place that's had the heart ripped out of it. Such a damn shame...and even bigger shame on the so called "town planners" who have done more damage to Sheffield than the War ever did !

But they still get voted in !

I have to agree with you lots of towns and cities have gone into decline .its a real shame ,but wherever in the world I am if i`m asked where I come from I say with Pride Sheffield ,but I`d never live there again I still own property there but we mainly live across the pond in a southern direction .........x
I always tell them that i live in Roverham but come from Hillsbro.please help me but where is the pond its either Ulley res or the Atlantic ocean .:hihi:x

I always tell them that i live in Roverham but come from Hillsbro.please help me but where is the pond its either Ulley res or the Atlantic ocean .:hihi:x

nah not Ulley although Ive just acquired a property there we flit between France and uk we have been in the uk for a few months now as members of my other halfs family have died recently ...........and it has seemed every time we have planned to go home someone else has died ...........But I`m a sheffielder to the end wherever I will be .................x

Edited by sand_dollars