Heroin dealing in sheffield

I have know addicts that have been able to hold down jobs, the problems arrise when you have an addiction with no means to support it.

I have know addicts that have been able to hold down jobs, the problems arrise when you have an addiction with no means to support it.

Exactly, that's why heroin on script is such a good idea.

Because you can't cater for the needs of everyone. Unless you start a program of saying 'okay, the maximum you can have each day without dying is X amount, so we'll give you anything you like up to that'.

I'm not especially familiar with the amounts in grams of what constitutes the average weekly fix of a heroin addict, so these are figures used for demonstration only:

Addict A needs 60 grams a week

Addict B needs 120 grams a week

Neither Addict A or B want to quit, and will do everything they can to avoid quitting. (As legalising it and making it free will include these types of people in the target audience).

Do you tell addict A he can now have 120 grams a week for free, or do you tell addict B he can only have 60 grams a week?

Addict A suddenly has the chance of doubling his intake, whereas before he was limited to his intake due to financial constraints. Or, addict B now suddenly has massive withdrawal unless he finds an alternative source.

Or do we now trust addicts who don't want to quit to be truthful when the doctor says 'Okay, how much are you on? We'll make that your maximum limit.'

You really are clutching at straws and inventing all kinds of strange scenarios here. You have skilled and experienced practioners working with the users to work out what's an acceptable does for them.

You seem to be making the assumption that addicts would be forced to reduce their use and quit. It's a false assumption to make.

One of the advantages is that removing the illegality around the addiction makes it much easier for people to stabilise their lifestyle and usage of the drug. They may well later decide to reduce and withdraw, but there shouldn't be any compulsion.

Bold: However, at least the bloke is willing to engage in any kind of reasonable argument (as opposed to the shoot them all party etc.) which is more than most have done.

-

You raise some good points I think the bloke. I think most were covered with Halibut's post. At the moment, there is no purity tests, no regulation, no right/wrong.

When I smoked cigs, I smoked 20 a day. The standard amount for an addict (which was worked out by experts in nictoine addiction, hence the number 20 for a regular pack). Some will have more, and some less dependant on money rather than supply. With Opiates, who cares at 10p a plant?

I see no reason this wouldn't occur with regulated use of these opiates.

-

But since these debates never end up with any changes of minds. Can you/someone just answer my post #89... no one EVER responds to it.

I see no issues with trying it [free prescriptions]. If it works, and crime is significantly cut, and people get clean heroin rather than the **** on the street, then keep it going. If it doesn't work, then revert back to the status quo.
Edited by *_ash_*

What makes you think they'd only be allowed 50% of what they'd need?

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 22:20 ----------

The cost would be minute compared to the amount that's invested in tackling the crimes committed by addicts and the resources deployed to try and catch dealers.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 22:23 ----------

Because giving it free would cause a large drop in crime, reductions in the number of people acquiring a habit, help addicts get their lives back on track and it would save a large amount of time and resources for the police.

But there's no proof this would happen,free heroin won't stop them thieving.

[/b]

Of course it will. If an addict is thieving it's because they need money to buy heroin.

If you give them free heroin they won't need to steal.

[/b]

Actually there is.

It's a country called Switzerland, and there have been quite a few studies on this very subject.

Actually there is.

It's a country called Switzerland, and there have been quite a few studies on this very subject.

The English experience is very interesting:

http://findings.org.uk/count/downloads/download.php?file=Strang_J_21.txt

The conclusions are that it is very expensive and so can be used only as a last resort, with very high levels of supervision (not least, to prevent overdosing). Even then, the study suggests that a third of addicts do not respond and continue to use street heroin as well or drop out of the programme.

The English experience is very interesting:

http://findings.org.uk/count/downloads/download.php?file=Strang_J_21.txt

The conclusions are that it is very expensive and so can be used only as a last resort, with very high levels of supervision (not least, to prevent overdosing). Even then, the study suggests that a third of addicts do not respond and continue to use street heroin as well or drop out of the programme.

Thanks Pete, that is a very interesting study. The reluctance of addicts to join the program is worthy of further research.

More than life?

The current way doesn't work. Look around you. Like I said in the other post, when the supply dries up, the price goes up. Not good for crime figures.

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 21:10 ----------

This isn't about alcohol.

Its about drug dealers which pub landlords are. Just because it is legal does'nt mean they are not the same because they are. Give smack dealers a break or shoot the landlords too.

Its about drug dealers which pub landlords are. Just because it is legal does'nt mean they are not the same because they are. Give smack dealers a break or shoot the landlords too.

I don't think anyone, including me, has suggested that heroin should be sold in the same manner as like a public house. Can you find one? If you can, then let's discuss them as being a similar debate. If not, then that suggests that it is a different discussion, and nothing to do with this one.

are you just talking about heroin or all illegal drugs because a big majority of doctors and nurses smoke cannabis, they say its due to all the stress they are under, I don't agree with drugs but I wouldn't go as far as calling them " the scum of the earth !!!!!

Just spotted this. Are you right in the head?

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 16:28 ----------

no i ment send the the smack heads there and bring our troops home.

And the same question to number 2, please?

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 16:32 ----------

i dont do compassion for druggy scum. bring bach the chair and cook the lot that goes for all criminals.

And there we have the full set. Or maybe not, its the same person as the lovely number 2.

Anyone mentioned Hilter yet? Can close the thread then.

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 16:33 ----------

What happens if we start supplying heroin through the NHS to addicts though? We already supply methadrone

Really????

Edited by No User Name