Wardsend Cemetery, the ghastliest place in Sheffield

It wasn't like that 10 years ago. Blame government cuts to local council budgets. Loads of cemetaries have become massively overgrown, including Rivelin. The general cemetary is in good condition because it has a reasonably large group of volunteers maintaining it.

City road is still in use so obviously gets priority.

Oh....there are far worse places in Sheffield.

Know all about the said group doing their bit to tidy it up but who allowed it to arrive at the state it did ?

our lovely caring red labour council .They spent all the money on firvale pitsmoor etc .ally ack back

our lovely caring red labour council .They spent all the money on firvale pitsmoor etc .ally ack back

Yes - on the living not the dead.

Go down the lane beside the dog track over the new bridge on the left side there it is . I spent many happy times there .there was a working power station with chain buckets dumping the ashes. two cooling towers and a few small factories which are still there .you can still walk round and come out at Hillfoot Bridge .I was born in Hobson Ave 1st road up on the right ,in the middle of all the factory.s and smoke and muck .I am 77 and fit as a fart ,Hitler could not kill me but it looks like his daughter frau Merkle might.

Who owns Wardsend Cemetery? Last I heard it was owned by the Church of England.

I used to take a detour via Clubmill Lane to get to Hillfoot Bridge on my mountain bike. It is eerily quiet.

I have explored the graveyard a couple of times, I found it quite sad and humbling, thinking that one day each of us will be gone and long forgotten. But, I like the idea of our earthly remains returning to nature, like a circle of life.

I used to take a detour via Clubmill Lane to get to Hillfoot Bridge on my mountain bike. It is eerily quiet.

I have explored the graveyard a couple of times, I found it quite sad and humbling, thinking that one day each of us will be gone and long forgotten. But, I like the idea of our earthly remains returning to nature, like a circle of life.

A woodland burial can now be arranged in Sheffield .

us two have booked our plot paid on the never never:hihi:

A walk from Herries to Wardsend used to be a novel on a misty wet day, umbrella up and the static from the overhead electricity lines spinning around the umbrella staves, very scary.

Can anyone tell me if the old chapel was bombed during the war & was it in use after the war?

No the old chapel was in one piece right up to its demolition,it just was not used and fell into disrepair!.We used to play inside it as kids in the late 40s early 50s,I used to visit Geoff Gratten who was one of the gravediggers sons,he lived in the big house near the chapel!.They had no running water gas or electricity,so daily life must have been a struggle for them!.

Our council can't spend money they don't have. It's those blue tories that have cut the budget. They've also spent money replacing streetlightd throughout Sheffield. What's wrong with spending money on regenerating run doem areas where people are actually living?