Wardsend Cemetery, the ghastliest place in Sheffield

I have just paid a visit. What a bleak, awful place to be that is.

What a shame and a blemish on the visage of the city. It is completely overgrown by weeds and strewn with litter. Half of the stones have collapsed or been sprayed with graffiti. If you climb the hill behind Owlerton stadium, you had better take good care not to break your neck; the footpath is derelict. By the entry, some youths had stoked up a fire. I did not really feel intimidated, because my mien and gait make me look rather cantankerous and sullen, but I was not completely at ease, either.

Also, some graves near the top looked like they had not collapsed naturally but someone had deliberately been digging at them. I am aware that the cemetery had a history of body snatching in 19th century, but you should not be able to see traces of that after 150 years, should you? By Jove, I should not like to be on that hillside after sunset.

General Cemetery (closed) and City Road Cemetery (still open) are agreeable places; they breathe an atmosphere of peace and tranquillity and are pleasing to the eye. If they can be well-maintained and neat, I do not see why the same could not be done for Wardsend. As it is now, however, it has to be the most unsettling place in the city.

Edited by Eccentric
spelling

surely someone or body should be taken to task for allowing this cemetery to fall into the condition it has.

yes what are you doing to tidy it up?

"Ghastliest place in Sheffield" ?

You never been to Bradway ?

"Ghastliest place in Sheffield" ?

You never been to Bradway ?

There's a cememtary at the top of church street in Outibridge. It's a beautiful place well kept for and neat without a drop of litter. I spent 20 minutes there when I thought the building there was a church.

There is a beautiful grave plot where a 2 year old who died sometime in the 1950's is buried. Along with both of her parents who died just recently around 2010 i think. At the ages of 80 and 82.

Really did put a lump in my throat.

Imo Wardsend is one of the most atmospheric and wondrous places in Sheffield, maybe for the wrong reasons granted, but you can lose yourself for hours there, especially with a camera.

Like others i do wonder how it was left to become they way it has though, you'd think there would be some law in place to stop such things, it being peoples last resting place.

I can see the appeal of the place, and that was the reason I went there in the first place, but I once I was there, I just felt incredibly uneasy and sad. My mind said: ‘I do not want to be here’. I have visited hundreds of cemeteries; it’s a favourite pastime of mine whenever I am on holiday as well. But Wardsend gave me a queasy sensation. I really did not like it.

There are ghouls and spooks in there, my friend was walking back from the pub one night and he saw them.

I agree about it being a very sad sight, a cemetery should never be left to become what that place has.