Home contents insurance question

Hi

I live in private rented accomodation and am wanting to get home contents insurance....someone has mentioned to me that any insurance we took out would most likely be invalid due to the insecurity of the front door to the property.

The door has two large open cracks in it where we can see out and people from the outside can see in...especially now the nights are drawing in and we need the lights on....the landlord wont repair or replace the door...I just need to know where we stand if anyone would know please...

Thanks

Does the landlord visit?

I'd change the door, put his in storage and then put it back on when you move!

I'm sorry it doesn't really answer your question but isn't there something you can do about the landlord not replacing it? Surely that isn't safe?

I want to see a picture of this. Can you upload one? :)

Your landlord should absolutely replace the door. :hihi:

I have taken legal advice over this and apparently they cannot enforce him to change the door...only repair the cracks with polyfilla....must say I am not impressed.....

I have taken legal advice over this and apparently they cannot enforce him to change the door...only repair the cracks with polyfilla.... must say I am not impressed.....

That's why I would have liked to see the cracks. Got to be honest though, if that was my property I would absolutely replace the door regardless.

Then at least make him do that and paint it up so it isn't as noticeable. Apart from the safety aspect I can't imagine that's going to be very warm in winter!

As for insurance, I can't imagine they will be happy to insure a property that isn't secure but each company may be different so you may have to ask them.

Insurance companies will ask if there are secure locks fitted. You should be able to say 'Yes' to this.

I have taken legal advice over this and apparently they cannot enforce him to change the door...only repair the cracks with polyfilla....must say I am not impressed.....

Nor am I. A landlord is usually responsible for repair of defects, assuming that the door is part of the 'structure'.

(And how could a door be 'contents' anyway?)

Here's s.11(1) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985- with my underlining- which says so:

In a lease to which this section applies (as to which, see sections 13 and 14) there is implied a covenant by the lessor:

(a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),

(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and

© to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Thank you for that info....but my landlord insists there is nothing wrong with the door...and won't repair it....I have also rang a couple of insurance companies for house contents quotes...no one will insure my belongings because of the doors....great stuff....both front and back doors only have one lock on them and the insurance companies say this is insecure...so am stuck at the minute....but thanks for the info...

Just a thought but rather than it be replaced could it be glued and cramped up with sash cramps before screwing pieces of wood across the top, middle and bottom of the door. Your landlord could do this quite cheaply if you or they are handy.

Thank you for that info....but my landlord insists there is nothing wrong with the door...and won't repair it....I have also rang a couple of insurance companies for house contents quotes...no one will insure my belongings because of the doors....great stuff....both front and back doors only have one lock on them and the insurance companies say this is insecure...so am stuck at the minute....but thanks for the info...

Withhold the rent until he replaces the door. Don't be intimidated by threats of legal action as it will be all bluff and bluster. The law will be on your side.

I would suggest you make a written request for a new door as evidence that you have alerted him to the defect.