-6.7 Iridium flare tonight.

22:48:56

294 degrees WNW

Alt 22 degrees

This should be a real corker, if you're into this sort of thing. :)

Iridium are a set of satellites with quite large solar panels, as these turn towards the sun sunlight is reflected towards earth giving a "flare" or flash of bright light. Tonight's -6.7 one is one of the brightest possible.

Megalithic, if I was stood at the Manor Top(top of City Rd, Sheffield), would 294 degrees roughly be in the direction of the city centre/train-station.

Megalithic, if I was stood at the Manor Top(top of City Rd, Sheffield), would 294 degrees roughly be in the direction of the city centre/train-station.

I'd say looking straight down city rd would do it. Don't get stuck on the direction too much though, that's just the direction of approach, when it flares it'll be pretty high in the sky. I just tend to start scanning the general area around 30-60 seconds before. This one will be pretty much un-missable, if the cloud stays away.

So, from a quarter to eleven? Also, 22 degrees is just above the horizon, is that correct?

So, from a quarter to eleven? Also, 22 degrees is just above the horizon, is that correct?

That's the altitude it will appear from, it'll then continue across the sky getting brighter till it peaks. They only flare for a second or two so keep your eyes up.

(Brightening, flare, then fading out lasts around a minute)

Will I be able to see this just with my eyes or do I need a telescope?

Will I be able to see this just with my eyes or do I need a telescope?

For a few seconds it'll be the brightest thing in the sky. Quite unmissable with the naked eye, as long as you look at the right time, and the cloud allows.

I shall save this thread ready for the "Did UFOs land on Manor Top last night" thread tomorrow :hihi:

I shall save this thread ready for the "Did UFOs land on Manor Top last night" thread tomorrow :hihi:

Mate, you can have fun with these as they are totally predictable. :hihi:

Again, BST or GMT :-)