Where to find a legit copy of Office 2010 Prof?

this seems to be fraught with risks but I am after a proper copy of Office 2010 Professional for a sensible price (eg under £100) for a business collaborator who has a much older version of Office (and we keep having compatibility issues)

Ebay is full of them but there seems no way of being sure you are getting

If it helps I already have a set of DVDs from my own install

What is the compatability issues you are having?

When saving a document in a newer version of office, simply click the drop down BELOW where you type the file name, and save it as an older version (.doc instead of .docx etc)

he will then be able to open them (save them as office 2008, or 2007 or something)

You will also be able to open anything from him...

thanks Ghozer - it is all sorts of stuff really and its getting annoying to work around - most recently a weeks work in Publisher had to be be reformated and refonted

I use 2010 for all my clients and content and dont want to have to mess about with some stuff in older formats. Also it would be helpful to have PDF creator inside Office, which I gather isnt in early versions

my concern with Office is that 2010 is getting harder to get hold of as Microsoft push 365 and its outrageously restricted licensing

There is a way of creating PDF's from anything that can print... just use print2pdf or something similar...

But honestly, I think you'll struggle to find a legit copy of Office 2010 now...

Maybe contact some old office's or the university, cause when they do clear-outs they often end up scrapping loads of stuff..

try and contact Aspire, they are a registered charity, and are contracted to do office clear outs, they MAY have some, I couldn't say for sure atm though..

http://www.aspire-sheffield.co.uk/

Ghozer mentions in post #2 that the newer version of the Microsoft Office product can save in an older format.

The reverse is also true; if you download and install the freely-available Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats, then older versions of Office (versions 2000, 2002 and 2003) can open documents created in versions 2007 and 2010.

I've used this to open simple Office 2007 and 2010 documents in Office 2003, and it does a very good job (although certain features that the older versions of Office do not support will be lost on conversion).

You'll need to make sure you've updated your older Office suite to Service Pack 3 before you install the Compatibility Pack

You also mentioned Publisher - Publisher (can't stand it personally) never seems to be compatible with any previous version (just like M(es)$ Access.

If you want sound Word files then always save them as 97/2003 for least issues.

Word is good enough on its own as a 'Publisher' (ok so you can't get the multipage element but there must be a work around to that!).

Failing that, cut your losses and both work using the free app Scribus for Publications:

http://scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

and LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/) to replace Office or if you want OpenOffice with all the Clipart then go for Oxygen Office Professional:

http://oxygenofficepro.com/

If you are really desparate:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Office-2010-Home-Business/dp/B003FOYV4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296653973&sr=8-2

[NO EXPERIENCE OF SELLER!]

Edited by swarfendor43

Have you tried buying it from thepiratebay? I've heard they have some really good deals.

In all seriousness, I think the safest option would be to buy from a legitimate outlet like PC World, if you're really concerned about dodgy copies or incorrect licencing and the sort.

Alternatively as swarfendor mentioned, theres a good few apps out there like libre office that can completely replace MS Office for the most point. I personally use http://www.openoffice.org and its the bees knees baby.

this seems to be fraught with risks but I am after a proper copy of Office 2010 Professional for a sensible price (eg under £100) for a business collaborator who has a much older version of Office (and we keep having compatibility issues)

Ebay is full of them but there seems no way of being sure you are getting

If it helps I already have a set of DVDs from my own install

You won't find a genuine brand new copy of 2010 Pro for less than the £hundreds retail price, as it's still a product bought and used by business; specifically those locked into the licence schemes.

You can get hold of Word 2010 Home version however, which might be something to consider; I've seen new copies of those on Amazon and Insight for under £100, if you want to bend the licence rules a little. That's if it's just Word however..

I'm not sure why you think Office 365 is so expensive though; it's £100pa/per user for the Small Business edition, compared to the £360+ for a single licence of 2010 Pro.

Was going to suggest Software4Students but Office 2010 is unavailable. The price has risen drastically too, £149:95. Glad I got my two user licensed copy for £34:95

There are some on eBay, which do state they have keys.

Might be worth looking as I need to get Outlook 2010.

I have Office Home and Student 2010 but I can't run it in 64bit mode as I previously had Office 2007 which I think is only 32bit.

I'm having to run Office Home and Student 2010 in 32bit mode

I have got a unopened OEM license of Office 2007 Pro if any good to you?