Identify this object washed up on a beach please !

Found this in May this year whilst walking along the beach/sea edge at Dunwich (Suffolk) no idea what is it is, looks like something you would use on a maritime map maybe, the prongs do not bend and 3.2cm apart at the tips. Any ideas? it's approx. 7 inches long, and the handle is cracked and eroded (if that's the right word), so I guess it was a metal handle originally. Dunwich is famous for having an eroded coastline and a whole town/village has been washed away due to fierce storms back in the 13th century. so no surprise that stuff still gets churned up from shipwrecks etc...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100943859@N02/

Hope the link works and I look forward to your replies.

Pity you couldn't remove the build up of debris around the area where the 2 steel prongs meet. I guess if it's some sort of maritime mapping instrument there'll most likely be a hinged section where they meet.

It's too coarse to be for mapping etc.

My guess would be more in line with some kind of scribing tool.

Can you be certain that it is all one tool and not two that have rusted together?

Looks as though it could be used,to get hold of a large fish from a net,spikey bit goes through the head and curled bit inside mouth.[total guess,so proberly complete rubbish]

It looks like the top piece is hinged, like it could grip something... almost like a claw...

Possibly part of a crank or ratchet mechanism from a mast or something?

Might it be some sort of net-mending tool?

Space debris. Possibly alien.

Looks as though it could be used,to get hold of a large fish from a net,spikey bit goes through the head and curled bit inside mouth.[total guess,so proberly complete rubbish]

Actually that could well be the purpose, the straight spike through the throat and the curve spike through the mouth to secure the catch and land it on deck.:huh:

Could be a spile trosher.

or a duckdo.:hihi: