We now have English owners!

Cringeworthy :D

That's put him in his Plaice.

The new owners of a fish & chip shop in deepest Lancashire have produced a banner proudly proclaiming that the business is under new management with English owners!

Paul Bradbury claims he isn't a racist (and anyone who thinks so is 'narrow minded') but only English people know the proper recipe for fish & chips and his customers wouldn't want to be served the national staple by someone Turkish (the business was previously owned by an English couple of Greek and Asian descent.

Alongside his traditional offerings Mr Bradbury also sells Chinese food and kebabs..he must have some Asian/Greco blood in him then if he believes his own mantra.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2405358/Chippy-Green-owner-Paul-Bradburys-racism-row-buying-east-Asian-managers.html

So can only (indigenously) English people cook proper fish & chips?

For my own two pennorth my favourite chippies in Sheffield are the one in Crosspool (run by a Mediterranean looking guy), the Greystones chippy (run for years by an old Chinese couple) and the Ranmoor Friery owned by a fabulous Asian family.

EDIT Could a kindly moderator move this to the General Discussions Section? :)

Our favorite chippy is run by a Polish couple, the only other one we use is run by Greeks, I don't give a rats who runs the chippy as long as the food is good. Only time will tell is his sign will be good for business but I don't see it as racist.

If there's a chip on anyone's shoulder, it's you! If there's a racism post you're knee-deep in it. Don't you actually have a life where people can just make statements without having everything picked up.

I barely come on here now but I can absolutely guarantee that the front page of the General section will have a thread started by you or having its flames fuelled by you.

You're totally anti-racism. We get it. But, contrary to Sheffield Forum's belief, it's equally fine to be White English and patriotic and to make a comment about it. Not everyone in the UK is as happy as you are with the state of things in the UK. That does not make them wrong, nor - amazingly - does it make them racist or biased or prejudiced in any way.

I'll put on my products I'm making Entirely Made in England. Will that be wrong as well?

No need to reply as I won't be back here for a while.
We were talking about you (specifically) the other day with a load of ex-SFers and I thought this was worthy of comment as a whole load of perspective appears to have been lost.

Thats a pity, because that was an excellent post.

Our favorite chippy is run by a Polish couple, the only other one we use is run by Greeks, I don't give a rats who runs the chippy as long as the food is good. Only time will tell is his sign will be good for business but I don't see it as racist.

I didn't ask if it was racist, nor did I imply it was.

I asked whether you have to be English to make proper fish & chips because that's what the man in the article believes.

TBH English fish and chips are usually better. However, Indian or Pakistani cooked curry are also superior. To each his own.

I went in a fish and chip shop on Blackpool front last year, and the chips were from a freezer bag.. Sacrilege, it was a foreign owner, not sure where from though....

It's not about the cooking, it's about the wrapping and things have never been the same since they stopped using newspaper.

I think someone earlier in the thread hit the nail on the head. The nationality of the cook doesn't really matter but it has to be a proper chip shop, who slice their own chips using real potatoes and batter their own fish. A kebab shop type place which uses frozen fish and chips is never going to be as good.

I think we need to do some proper research to really find out the truth about this.

I think we need to do some proper research to really find out the truth about this.

I agree, can it involve beer?

I agree, can it involve beer?

Errr yeah. We just need another hypothesis to go along with the chip shop one.

Is the taste of fish and chips improved with a good beer?

There's a fish and chip shop a few miles from me owned and run by Chinese. Their fish and chips are as good as any I tasted in England.

When i lived in London the best fish and chips I ever tasted were cooked by a Greek couple