We now have English owners!

About 15 years ago I used a lovely chippy across from Two Steps that was owned by a white family. Not sure if they are still there.

I've not read the article in the Daily Mail that BF refers to, but my first instinct it doesn't strike me as racist.

Often these debates sometime occur on 'Come Dine With Me', that someone from lets say Italy criticises a fellow diner who isn't prepares an Italian meal

Totally agree Mister M, my mother still maintains you have to be West Indian to cook Caribbean food, even though she can't cook to save her life!

Did you manage to read through what I posted?

I'm not 'crying' anything, I simply asked whether you had to be English to cook proper fish and chips and which everybodies favourite chippy was..now knock the chip from your shoulder.

is it an English cooked chip?:hihi:

Totally agree Mister M, my mother still maintains you have to be West Indian to cook Caribbean food, even though she can't cook to save her life!

My wife is mixed race and cant cook a west indian curry its a disgrace i tell thee

English fish and chip shop take away

Indian food take away.

Chinese food take away.

Cantonese food take away.

Which one is the odd one out?

Did you manage to read through what I posted?

I'm not 'crying' anything, I simply asked whether you had to be English to cook proper fish and chips and which everybodies favourite chippy was..now knock the chip from your shoulder.

You seem to be the one with the chip, as I have seen in some of your other posts.

As for a direct answer to your question, I'll answer it like this: If I see a restaurant advertising itself as a genuine Italian restaurant, then I expect the chef to be an genuine Italian.

It's like wasabi sabi, they are all Chinese, and it advertises itself as a genuine Japanese restaurant.

I don't exist to please you boyfriday, and of course your shortcomings are illustrated in yours, so no lost sleep here either.

Anyone can cook fish and chips, it is not difficult. But it is a British cuisine, so maybe the British are better at it? can't really say as I've not been to may run by actual British people.

In that vain, why not advertise that it is run by someone English? sets it apart from others that are not. Personally I would have put something better like "Real British cuisine, by real British People" or something in that ball park.

You have to love the Daily Mail.

Look at the other story. A former soldier was ORDERED to remove the english flag on his door.

Ordered, yes, by his landlord. Haha. If I repainted my door blue, red, black, white, whatever, I would be introuble too. I have to check with landlord first to repaint anything different.

-

For what it's worth, the best 2 chippys I know in Sheffield, are Ranmoor chippy and New cod on Commonside. The commonside one is Tony Singhs, and I think ranmoor is same family. The queues at commonside say it all.

I don't exist to please you boyfriday, and of course your shortcomings are illustrated in yours, so no lost sleep here either.

You claimed I was 'crying racism' over the DM article and was offended by it..yet nowhere have I accused anyone of being racist or have I said I was offended by the article, I wasn't even inviting opinion on Mr Bradbury. I read the article whilst guffawing, I certainly wasn't spitting feathers over his poster-it made me chuckle.

It seems you have an issue with believing what you want to see rather than what is actually written and you form an opinion based on that prejudice.

Anyone can cook fish and chips, it is not difficult. But it is a British cuisine, so maybe the British are better at it? can't really say as I've not been to may run by actual British people.

In that vain, why not advertise that it is run by someone English? sets it apart from others that are not. Personally I would have put something better like "Real British cuisine, by real British People" or something in that ball park.

That's absolutely fine, I've no problem with his banner, what struck a chord with me was his claim that English people cook it better when I know from my own experience that isn't necessarily true!

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 15:23 ----------

For what it's worth, the best 2 chippys I know in Sheffield, are Ranmoor chippy and New cod on Commonside. The commonside one is Tony Singhs, and I think ranmoor is same family. The queues at commonside say it all.

That's right ash, it's run by his brother and his wife. Tony used to have the Broomhill Friery which he ran very successfully after Phil Slack sold it to him in the 80's I think.

My wife is mixed race and cant cook a west indian curry its a disgrace i tell thee

Is she from (east) India(n)?

That might explain it.

So what's the difference between him claiming to be English and you referring to English of Greek & Asian decent? Is that in your eyes different?

But that isn't what the thread is asking. Do you think only English people can cook decent fish and chips? It's a simple enough question.

But that isn't what the thread is asking. Do you think only English people can cook decent fish and chips? It's a simple enough question.

Would that be English of Greek & Asian origin. It's a simple enough question.