We now have English owners!

The new owners of a fish & chip shop in deepest Lancashire have produced a banner proudly proclaiming that the business is under new management with English owners!

Paul Bradbury claims he isn't a racist (and anyone who thinks so is 'narrow minded') but only English people know the proper recipe for fish & chips and his customers wouldn't want to be served the national staple by someone Turkish (the business was previously owned by an English couple of Greek and Asian descent.

Alongside his traditional offerings Mr Bradbury also sells Chinese food and kebabs..he must have some Asian/Greco blood in him then if he believes his own mantra.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2405358/Chippy-Green-owner-Paul-Bradburys-racism-row-buying-east-Asian-managers.html

So can only (indigenously) English people cook proper fish & chips?

For my own two pennorth my favourite chippies in Sheffield are the one in Crosspool (run by a Mediterranean looking guy), the Greystones chippy (run for years by an old Chinese couple) and the Ranmoor Friery owned by a fabulous Asian family.

EDIT Could a kindly moderator move this to the General Discussions Section? :)

Edited by boyfriday

Think 2 steps is Turkish owned so no. Amigos is Pakistani owned but some nice mexican food.

Wasn’t it a Jewish immigrant that brought Fish and Chips to this country?

Edit: Deep-fried fish was first introduced into Britain during the 17th century by Jewish refugees from Portugal and Spain,[2][3] and is derived from pescado frito. In 1860, the first fish and chip shop was opened in London by Joseph Malin.[4] - Wiki

So it’s another adopted dish.

Edited by stevie1957

Our local chippy is owned by asians,and theres nowt wrong with the way he cooks em.

Favourite chippie has to be Ted’s in Manor Park.

It certainly wouldn't appeal to me and I might suspect the owners were probably hung up with some kind of nationalistic views I wouldn't be associated with; and no I fail to see any great skill or knowledge involved in operating a fish fryer.

All in all a bit of a none storey really, he's no Nick Griffin wannabe.

Does it matter who cooks them as long as they're delicious? I'd say no.

About 15 years ago I used a lovely chippy across from Two Steps that was owned by a white family. Not sure if they are still there.

I've not read the article in the Daily Mail that BF refers to, but my first instinct it doesn't strike me as racist.

Often these debates sometime occur on 'Come Dine With Me', that someone from lets say Italy criticises a fellow diner who isn't prepares an Italian meal

It certainly wouldn't appeal to me and I might suspect the owners were probably hung up with some kind of nationalistic views I wouldn't be associated with; and no I fail to see any great skill or knowledge involved in operating a fish fryer.

All in all a bit of a none storey really, he's no Nick Griffin wannabe.

Wouldn't appeal to me and probably not to the majority of 'English' folks either.

You are crying racism over this? seriously? my god, no wonder the UK is in the mess it is in. Oh wow you found it offensive, big whoop.

You are crying racism over this? seriously? my god, no wonder the UK is in the mess it is in. Oh wow you found it offensive, big whoop.

Did you manage to read through what I posted?

I'm not 'crying' anything, I simply asked whether you had to be English to cook proper fish and chips and which everybodies favourite chippy was..now knock the chip from your shoulder.

Really Britain's economic woes are down to perceptions of racism?