Running club for beginers

Hi, I would like to start running, is there any clubs around, s35, hillsborough area for beginners. never actually ran before. just wanted to try it out.

any1 know?

Have you heard of Park run? There is one in Hillsborough park every Sat morn, it's run by volunteers and is a 5km route (3 laps of the park) which is a great starting point if you're new to running! Good luck!

Steel City Striders and Hallamshire Harriers also run and have groups for new runners to help and encourage. My thoughts on Park Run is - they are good and free - but it is a race each week and that actually detracts me from going. I like racing (I am doing a marathon next month) but not every week as a training run...

Hi Beth. Yes join us down at Hillsborough parkrun. Free weekly timed 5k. All abilities from elite to complete beginners. Best of all its completely free.

Also google strideout, which is a ladies running group based at Wadsley.

The only problem is I take my daughters dancing on a saturday am at 10am. how long does it last ?

I dont want to do a race, just jogging

Lifeyoga- parkrun is a run not a race. Yes you can end up occasionally racing someone the idea is that you only race yourself. No one is ever classed as the winner, only 1st finisher. Even a overcompetitive runner like me has just easy paced around A few and just enjoyed being with like mminded people. Yes its nice to PB but, really its just about getting oit on a Saturday morning and meeting people.

---------- Post added 29-08-2013 at 14:26 ----------

The only problem is I take my daughters dancing on a saturday am at 10am. how long does it last ?

I dont want to do a race, just jogging

We start at 9am and the final finisher runs around 35-45min. Bring your daughters down to cheer, play in the playground or even better volunteer.

my daughters are only 3 and 6yr old

There are usually lots of kids around, at least there have been when we`ve been as a family to Graves and Endcliffe.

At Graves Park Run, they keep telling us it's a 'run' not a 'race'. There's not a hint of competitiveness there at all...

*mwhahaha*

Hi,

I run with meadowhall sweatshop every monday night (5km) and they also do a 10km run on a thursday night. It is for all levels and people are really friendly. You also get a t-shirt when you've been a certain amount of times so that keeps you motivated xxx

'parkrun' can be what you want it to be.

Some can't stop themselves being competitive and have to push - even if its only for a personal best. Others walk it in about 50 minutes chatting all the way - like my mum the age category record holder, VW80-84, at Scunny - first out of one in 53:38.

'parkrun' - free forever

---------- Post added 02-09-2013 at 04:56 ----------

Hi Beth29 - I'm doing some research into the reasons why people start physical activity, or restart, after a long lay-off. I know there are loads of worthy reasons but what was the final thing that stirred you in to action - if you do actually manage too ;-)

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 05:31 ----------

Running can be solitary. That's why parkrun is such a good thing. I found that my normal reserved self was swept away at the end of the run and I usually had a word or two with the runner who finished near to me. Thereafter, I felt more part of the group. Some runners turn up run and leave without a word and the results system gives them the time/position/progress, and loads more, there's no chance of not knowing if you are improving, or the reverse!

This is the Hillsborough facebook page:-

https://www.facebook.com/HillsboroughParkrun?fref=ts Not the busiest but the recent response to the call for volunteers showed that parkrunners are do'ers and care about their run. Almost everyone was juggling childcare issues. Why not have a sneaky look, 9am-every Saturday. Oh yes its free forever!

---------- Post added 03-09-2013 at 05:32 ----------

-your private msg store is full -