Intel I5 1150/155

Socket 1155 is the older socket that will fit Sandybridge/Ivybridge CPUs (3xxx lines) while 1150 is the newer socket for Haswell based CPUs (4xxx lines)

The new Haswell line means that Intel have basically taken ownership of the Voltage regulators and integrated them onto the CPU alongside the APU (CPU/GPU that's already on the fabrication, like Sandybridge/Ivybridge)

The benefits that you have with going with 1155 is that it's been in the market for a couple of years now, and prices for boards and CPUs are dropping a little now that Haswell has come along. Haswell was only released at the beginning of July. The drawback of Haswell (which might be considered a benefit of socket 1155 based CPUs) is that it's currently considered more difficult to overclock because of the voltage regulators, and that they would mean that the CPU should run more hot - Voltage regulators on motherboards usually had their own passive cooling solutions. The drawback of 1155 is that it's now "older tech" so any new CPUs Intel comes up with post Haswell aren't going to fit an 1155 board.

The benefits of 1150 is that it's new (though that means it's more expensive) - in theory this should mean that you have future-proof upgradability. The reality of this is a little bit hit and miss, as Intel have previously introduced a new socket line (the original i7's were released on socket 1366) then changed the socket on the next consumer CPU release.

I personally have just upgraded my own machine from a socket 775 Q9550 to an I7 3770K. I didn't want the extra potential heat generated by Haswell. The new Haswell line on desktop's is of limited gain against Ivybridge, as Intel are striving for more power saving eco-friendly CPUs which is partly the reason why they've taken control of the voltage regs. For me, the bang-for-buck was a major consideration and the price to performance for me was a better fit on Ivybridge than Haswell but each to their own.

I haven't yet checked your links though, will do that next.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 12:40 ----------

Looking at your list, on the whole it's okay (depends what your total budget is) but if you could stretch by a tenner here and there, then I think the following tweaks would benefit you.

Samsung 840 SSD £77.99 - same capacity, better speed/higher IOPS.

92mm fan on the CPU cooler would be noisier than a 120mm fan cooler, if you're wanting to keep your rig fairly quiet The 212 evo is raved about on forums and I know someone who has one (but doesn't OC) and it's good, but you're on the right lines looking for good number of direct contact heatpipes and lots of fins.

Lastly, if you're gaming and your budget can stretch to it, then look at 120mhz monitors. Means you can run higher framerates without tearing or v-sync limiting you to 60fps. This is of course depending on the type of gaming that you're doing. MMOs don't really benefit from majorly higher framerates, where as FPS/racing certainly do.

Um, what's your case? you want something with fairly decent airflow. If you're going to do LAN tournaments/parties then handles are a nice feature (e.g. coolermaster scout range)

Socket 1155 is the older socket that will fit Sandybridge/Ivybridge CPUs (3xxx lines) while 1150 is the newer socket for Haswell based CPUs (4xxx lines)

The new Haswell line means that Intel have basically taken ownership of the Voltage regulators and integrated them onto the CPU alongside the APU (CPU/GPU that's already on the fabrication, like Sandybridge/Ivybridge)

The benefits that you have with going with 1155 is that it's been in the market for a couple of years now, and prices for boards and CPUs are dropping a little now that Haswell has come along. Haswell was only released at the beginning of July. The drawback of Haswell (which might be considered a benefit of socket 1155 based CPUs) is that it's currently considered more difficult to overclock because of the voltage regulators, and that they would mean that the CPU should run more hot - Voltage regulators on motherboards usually had their own passive cooling solutions. The drawback of 1155 is that it's now "older tech" so any new CPUs Intel comes up with post Haswell aren't going to fit an 1155 board.

The benefits of 1150 is that it's new (though that means it's more expensive) - in theory this should mean that you have future-proof upgradability. The reality of this is a little bit hit and miss, as Intel have previously introduced a new socket line (the original i7's were released on socket 1366) then changed the socket on the next consumer CPU release.

I personally have just upgraded my own machine from a socket 775 Q9550 to an I7 3770K. I didn't want the extra potential heat generated by Haswell. The new Haswell line on desktop's is of limited gain against Ivybridge, as Intel are striving for more power saving eco-friendly CPUs which is partly the reason why they've taken control of the voltage regs. For me, the bang-for-buck was a major consideration and the price to performance for me was a better fit on Ivybridge than Haswell but each to their own.

I haven't yet checked your links though, will do that next.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 12:40 ----------

Looking at your list, on the whole it's okay (depends what your total budget is) but if you could stretch by a tenner here and there, then I think the following tweaks would benefit you.

Samsung 840 SSD £77.99 - same capacity, better speed/higher IOPS.

92mm fan on the CPU cooler would be noisier than a 120mm fan cooler, if you're wanting to keep your rig fairly quiet The 212 evo is raved about on forums and I know someone who has one (but doesn't OC) and it's good, but you're on the right lines looking for good number of direct contact heatpipes and lots of fins.

Lastly, if you're gaming and your budget can stretch to it, then look at 120mhz monitors. Means you can run higher framerates without tearing or v-sync limiting you to 60fps. This is of course depending on the type of gaming that you're doing. MMOs don't really benefit from majorly higher framerates, where as FPS/racing certainly do.

Um, what's your case? you want something with fairly decent airflow. If you're going to do LAN tournaments/parties then handles are a nice feature (e.g. coolermaster scout range)

thanks for all the info. the case I'm looking at is atx with 3 x 120mm and space for additional 2 x 120mm & 1x 80mm also compatible with liquid cooling.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Your PSU might be a bit overkill if you're not going to run Crossfire/SLI at any stage in the future, though IMO it's best to have a little too much power than not enough, as you'll only draw on what your requirements are.

If you're ever going to overclock, get the K variant of the CPU for an extra £20 (ish) as the K's basically mean that they have unlocked multipliers to allow for overclocking.

Bottom mount PSU cases are better these days, as PSUs have gradually become heavier, and the PSU is less likely to overheat at the bottom than the top. The 80mm fan will be noisy compaired to the 120s. If you can, review video reviews on Youtube, as it gives you a better idea for cable management etc than just static pictures.

Edited by ShefStealth

Personally if I was spending that money on a PSU it'd be Corsair. Most of their high-end PSU are fully modular and have semi-passive cooling (fan doesn't spin till it's needed)

Plus Corsair offer epically long warranties.

Shefstealths post is very good.

The dilemma at the moment is that Haswell has been a let down and doent overclock well.

If you want to overclock then the pe haswell chips overclock better.

The 1150 motherboards tend to have more features with z87 amd the suggestion is that if you are doing a new build and arent into overclocking then go Haswell for the futureproofing. I has to be qyestioned how much futureproofing haswell will provide as the next generation of Haswell is unlikely to be a significant advance. It will be the new chipss after Haswells successor.

Some questions ot decide.

1. If you stick with ivybridge then get the K version for overclocking. The 3570k will hold its own with an I7 for gaming and they extra hyperthreads are only used in certain programs. It overclocks well abd is worth the extra over the 3570.

2. If you get the 3570k then you need a better heatsink and fan. Try the arcticooler freeezer i30. About £28.

3. The equivalent Haswell is the 4670lk which has been as low as £160 on Amazon.

4. Your powersupply is nice, but I suspect a bit overkill and you could get by on a much lower powered one. That could save you £50.

Power supplies I like are Seasonic, who make most of the hiher end Corsair psus, Corsair and XFX. Seasonic make them all.

Here is the psu matcher.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

The dilemma at the moment is that Haswell has been a let down and doent overclock well.

If you want to overclock then the pe haswell chips overclock better.

The 1150 motherboards tend to have more features with z87 amd the suggestion is that if you are doing a new build and arent into overclocking then go Haswell for the futureproofing. I has to be qyestioned how much futureproofing haswell will provide as the next generation of Haswell is unlikely to be a significant advance. It will be the new chipss after Haswells successor.

Some questions ot decide.

1. If you stick with ivybridge then get the K version for overclocking. The 3570k will hold its own with an I7 for gaming and they extra hyperthreads are only used in certain programs. It overclocks well abd is worth the extra over the 3570.

2. If you get the 3570k then you need a better heatsink and fan. Try the arcticooler freeezer i30. About £28.

3. The equivalent Haswell is the 4670lk which has been as low as £160 on Amazon.

4. Your powersupply is nice, but I suspect a bit overkill and you could get by on a much lower powered one. That could save you £50.

Power supplies I like are Seasonic, who make most of the hiher end Corsair psus, Corsair and XFX. Seasonic make them all.

Here is the psu matcher.

http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/

TBH if I was overclocking Ivy, I'd be looking in the 50-80 quid range for a heatsink/fan, if not considering an AIO watercooler (or if you've got the budget a proper water cooling setup)

A £30 HS/F is going to be on the limit at around 4.4Ghz and a lot of chips will go further in terms of the overclock.

Thanks for that :)

TBH if I was overclocking Ivy, I'd be looking in the 50-80 quid range for a heatsink/fan, if not considering an AIO watercooler (or if you've got the budget a proper water cooling setup)

A £30 HS/F is going to be on the limit at around 4.4Ghz and a lot of chips will go further in terms of the overclock.

The trouble with Ivybridge and Haswell is that Intel screwed us over by cheaping out on the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) connection to the die. Whenever the die is soldered to the IHS then the thermal dissipation from the die to the IHS is a lot better. In Ivy & Haswell, they're using thermal compound instead of soldering. If you're overclocking and you're brave enough, your best bet is to de-lid the CPU, clean off the glue and lap the IHS, then reapply the die with a better thermal compound. I've seen others then post temperature drops of about 20C after doing that, which brings it a bit more into line with Sandy, and less likely to need quite so much of a cooling upgrade bump, though of course that too will also help.

Thanks for that :)

The trouble with Ivybridge and Haswell is that Intel screwed us over by cheaping out on the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) connection to the die. Whenever the die is soldered to the IHS then the thermal dissipation from the die to the IHS is a lot better. In Ivy & Haswell, they're using thermal compound instead of soldering. If you're overclocking and you're brave enough, your best bet is to de-lid the CPU, clean off the glue and lap the IHS, then reapply the die with a better thermal compound. I've seen others then post temperature drops of about 20C after doing that, which brings it a bit more into line with Sandy, and less likely to need quite so much of a cooling upgrade bump, though of course that too will also help.

Oh yeah I'm fully aware of the Ivy/Haswell IHS issue. I've seen similar drops without needing to lap the IHS. A decent non-capacitive thermal paste will do it.

But as you said, you need to be REALLY brave about removing the IHS. So easy to break the die when doing it which means the CPU is trash.

Well I was going on the basis of not making him spend more money. You can always spend more, but bang per buk then that would be ok. 4.4 is respectable enough imo.

Overclockers UK are doing a massive deal atm with refurbished Corsair AIO coolers for around £40