Rough Pubs In The 60s

See Post 30 for its location. You are right about the old landlord as it was also known as Billy Lee's.

Thanks Jim, Im going to take a walk down there and try to get my bearings. The more I think about it I think you are right thanks again.

Are we all forgetting the Boston [two steps] and the Bricklayers.

Edited by cuttsie

Thanks Jim, Im going to take a walk down there and try to get my bearings. The more I think about it I think you are right thanks again.

The photo in the link was taken roughly from the corner of Cumberland Street and the Moor where the bus shelter is outside the BrightHouse shop looking due south.

yes it was the landsdown opposite the lacarno my husband and i took it over in 1967 from tommy and june walker

Just saw Shem's comment re Landsdowne..... great memories.....went in the back room playing darts there Thursdays around 1960, before heading across to Locarno after about three pints...only 15or 16yrs old which was a laugh, because all around us were the ominous signs RU18. lol Cuttsie might remember going in there with me, before getting into all kinds of tangles in the Locarno....it seems we were threatened with a "chinning" almost every night we were in there...... we were cheeky little buggers and probably more than deserved it for taking liberties trying to pull!! lol.....but how were we to know we were trying to pull somebodies bird...nobody danced with their girlfriend until the last dance! Lol

Another couple of lads who we had some good times with in there were Dave Hyde and Dave Priestley...not seen any of them for 50yrs or so as left for Canada in '66. Enjoy everyone's comments on this site!

It was very close to where the MPS building is now but on the opposite side of the Moor about where the Learndirect shop is if it's still there.

This should give you a good idea where it was.

Jim,

Belated thanks for picture, I remember it now, I laughed when I saw the Austin A35 in the foreground, my first car!!!!