Rough Pubs In The 60s

I,ve just been thinking about which pubs were the roughest in 60s Sheffield,at that time!.Pubs you went in and you felt uneasy as though something could kick off at any second,my mates and I went all over Sheffield visiting all kinds of pubs,posh,semi posh and downright dumps!.We never were troublemakers preferring to have a good time and a laugh and meet likeminded people especially the female variety!.Anyway back on subject my top two were The Centre Spot Base Green and the Manor Hotel,the Arbourthorne Hotel coming a close third!.In the Centre Spot you had to watch everywhere around you some of the characters in there would barge into you to start something,I saw a brawl in there one Sat.night that would put a western film to shame and have had to do some quick talking to stay in one piece on one occasion being surrounded by four rough looking huge gorrillas who were out for blood!.Yep the Centre Spot gets my vote no problem,which pub gets yours?:help::confused::suspect:

They reckon it's so rough in the Centre Spot these days that the alsatian guard dog has to wear sandals because of all the broken glass.

---------- Post added 26-08-2013 at 21:08 ----------

The Magnet at Southey was a rough and ready pub in its day,Sunday mornings there was a tossing ring that was always being raided by the bobbies,that Bolt bloke had nothing on those lads when the police were chasing 'em.

Greengate High Green."The Blood Tub"

George 1V at Kelvin Flats, Springwood near Richmond College, Cannon near Castle Market.

The Wharncliffe Hotel on Beavercotes Road. Only pub where I've seen a fight on Christmas Day lunchtime!

This thread has made me think because I used to go in the Centre spot and never saw any trouble. The Springwood and The Arbourthorne however were known as being rough pubs so I never went in them. In those days the fights were among the men nowadays its the females as well.

Roughest pub in the 60's, without a doubt The Travellers Rest at the bottom of the Moor, thankfully no longer there.

Manor Hotel for me . Once saw a panda car tipped on its roof in the car park . / Arbourthourne not far behind / My mate once bought a car with alloy wheels and couldnt find locking wheel nuts/ I said leave it outside Springwood hotel on Woodthorpe them lads will have them off in 5 mins. You could buy anything from a t.v. to a tank in there.:hihi::hihi:

Edited by spider1

Aberdeen Hotel on Fitzwilliam St. I remember the landlord had a length of pipe under the bar, and he wasn't afraid to use it. I think he was Irish. There were a lot of 'working girls' went in there with their Caribbean cohorts. A few razors on show. They'd probably make a theme pub of it now.

Magnet wasn't too bad,Cannon was one of roughest,fight every night and they were women.

My relative had Manor but rumour has it they couldn't hack it and moved up market on Wybourn.

George 1V at Kelvin Flats, Springwood near Richmond College, Cannon near Castle Market.

George 4th? was rough?

i used to go to punk gigs there in the mid 80s, seemed ok then, then again i wasnt going as a normal punter so.........

Roughest pub in the 60's, without a doubt The Travellers Rest at the bottom of the Moor, thankfully no longer there.

I am trying to place the Travellers, where exactly was it, I must have been in, whats replaced it?