First Aid in Schools

Should first aid be a mandatory subject in schools for children of all ages?

I believe yes, it is absolutely vital that this should be taught in schools like the regular subjects.

After all, health, hygiene and safety is paramount to everything in life.

Jobs, lifestyles, domestic situations, it is essential.

I believe that children leaving schools who would have proper skills in first aid, can walk in to most jobs and be better prepared for life. Jobs like nursing, caring, babysitting, various emergency services and even working in schools or businesses that required designated first aiders.

I think there should be first aid exams where you need to learn basic medicine skills, CPR techniques, life signs, how to diagnose illnesses, who to contact regarding certain issues and this could even extend to people going abroad, poisoned wounds and what types of bites to identify regarding insects and snake bites, a basic range of everything.

Instead of having children leaving schools with no real skills to cope with life and never knowing what to do in order to handle certain situations, not flapping like a child but knowing exactly what to do.

Teaching them all to read, write and count might be a good start.

When they have mastered that, they could consider 'extras'.

Well most kids cannot even do that :rolleyes:

Should first aid be a mandatory subject in schools for children of all ages?

I believe yes, it is absolutely vital that this should be taught in schools like the regular subjects.

After all, health, hygiene and safety is paramount to everything in life.

Jobs, lifestyles, domestic situations, it is essential.

I believe that children leaving schools who would have proper skills in first aid, can walk in to most jobs and be better prepared for life. Jobs like nursing, caring, babysitting, various emergency services and even working in schools or businesses that required designated first aiders.

I think there should be first aid exams where you need to learn basic medicine skills, CPR techniques, life signs, how to diagnose illnesses, who to contact regarding certain issues and this could even extend to people going abroad, poisoned wounds and what types of bites to identify regarding insects and snake bites, a basic range of everything.

Instead of having children leaving schools with no real skills to cope with life and never knowing what to do in order to handle certain situations, not flapping like a child but knowing exactly what to do.

I emailed Michael Gove about this very thing. I got a terse response saying there were no plans to introduce the teaching of first aid in schools.

Not even a caveat of 'at this time', just a straightforward 'no chance'.

Well most kids cannot even do that :rolleyes:

So how are they going to learn 1st Aid?

You don't think these things through. Do you?

I emailed Michael Gove about this very thing. I got a terse response saying there were no plans to introduce the teaching of first aid in schools.

Not even a caveat of 'at this time', just a straightforward 'no chance'.

Let's hope one of his kids gets in a situation at school where he could help one of his mates but has no clue how to do it.

So how are they going to learn 1st Aid?

You don't think these things through. Do you?

Through people reaching it to them, strange thing to happen in a school I know.

Kids have just had a super quick lesson in first aid at the Sheffield Fayre. I'm fully first aid trained and I think children should be taught it.

My kids' school were going to run an extra curricular course which I twice tried to enrol my daughter in only to be told that there was not enough interest and it wouldn't be running.

Kids have just had a super quick lesson in first aid at the Sheffield Fayre. I'm fully first aid trained and I think children should be taught it.

My kids' school were going to run an extra curricular course which I twice tried to enrol my daughter in only to be told that there was not enough interest and it wouldn't be running.

They are fobbing you off, kids love learning stuff like this.

Take them camping, they love learning how to carve wooden utensils and make fires.

Because potentially saving someone's life is an extra.

They are fobbing you off, kids love learning stuff like this.

Take them camping, they love learning how to carve wooden utensils and make fires.

There, fixed that for you ;)

If you want to put First Aid into the school syllabus, what are you going to take out to make room?