What is so bad about poll tax?

I thought the poll tax was brilliant, for me anyway, though I realise there were winners and losers.

Under the rates system I was paying more for a damp one bed flat than my sister was for a modern 3 bed semi, with garage, and gardens back and front.

When I tried to challenge the rates I was just told that flats were rated higher than houses.

Work that one out if you can!

I thought the government of the day introduced it badly, and some people really didn't understand the principles. At the time, our rates were roughly the same as the community charge for two adults, so we weren't winners or losers, but I thought the 'poll tax' was a fairer system in principle although its application needed some ironing out.

I thought the government of the day introduced it badly, and some people really didn't understand the principles. At the time, our rates were roughly the same as the community charge for two adults, so we weren't winners or losers, but I thought the 'poll tax' was a fairer system in principle although its application needed some ironing out.

That bit where you had to get money off your kids to pay the poll tax wasn't very well thought out, none of my kids were working at the time,my payments to the council went up treble fold the council were still chasing me for the money when my kids had flown the coop years ago.

I know its VED its still just another form of tax .my point is with all the revenue the government collects from various sources they should have enough to run the country properly with out having us cut back and constantly being told we are skint,I mean how many different types of tax are there poll tax or council rates are just another form of tax making us all suffer as if we don't pay enough out already.

You pay less than people in a number of other countries pay.

The government doesn't collect enough from the various sources to run the country and pay the interest on all the money it has borrowed.

I thought council tax was fair. The problem was that a lot of people were used to freeloading, and the usual leftist scum used it as an excuse to incite rioting. You will notice that the Tories won another election in 1992.

I thought council tax was fair. The problem was that a lot of people were used to freeloading, and the usual leftist scum used it as an excuse to incite rioting. You will notice that the Tories won another election in 1992.

The problem was that the vast majority of people in this country saw it as a profoundly unfair tax and it was the main reason the Tories ditched Thatcher in 1990.

You thought council tax was fair? We still have the council tax. It replaced the poll tax 20 years ago. Didn't you know?

Major won the 1992 general election having promised to abolish the poll tax, a decision caused by the Tories losing the Ribble Valley bye-election in 1991. If you think Major would have won in 1992 with a commitment to keep the poll tax you're even madder than I think you are.

If you think Major would have won in 1992 with a commitment to keep the poll tax you're even madder than I think you are.

People will not vote in favour of a tax, fair or not.

I know its VED its still just another form of tax .my point is with all the revenue the government collects from various sources they should have enough to run the country properly with out having us cut back and constantly being told we are skint,I mean how many different types of tax are there poll tax or council rates are just another form of tax making us all suffer as if we don't pay enough out already.

Your original point was that taxation is based on a number of discrete taxes paying for discrete things. That isn't so. Most things come out of general taxation. If you want to moan about high levels of taxation bear in mind the things that are provided by the state in return - health, police, roads, housing, defence, transport, etc, etc.

---------- Post added 26-08-2013 at 20:28 ----------

People will not vote in favour of a tax, fair or not.

No party supports no taxes. Therefore people do vote for taxes. In 1992 they voted for the council tax. They would not have voted for the poll tax.

How much money should it take to run the country? And how much money is brought in through taxation? Please show your working out.

jb

Rate pol tax whatever you want to call it should be scrapped we pay more than enough in tax and VAT for anything,we have to pay far too much out for what we we get back for it,there should be a nationwide revolt against rates,also water rates should be part of the government's responsibility,this country is taxed to the hilt every day and every minute of your life this government screws you out of some money somewhere along the line ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

Perhaps some evidence might cause you to revise your opinion.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 14:52 ----------

You pay NI for the NHS,as for council rates its very hard for working people as we are heavily taxed everything is taxed on top of that then we have to pay for a stupid council to waste our money on rubbish, I work and my missis does we pay over a thousand five hundred pound a month in tax then we have to pay VAT council rates,I've had enough of it I'm fed up with working hard and getting nowhere and getting screwed out of everything I earn,work it out how many councils are there in this country I'm sure the government could well afford to allocate enough money to local councils to cover what they need to do a lot of things like Education Police and Fire service should be run solely from central government,they get more than enough revenue from tax to run the lot..

How have you worked out that central government gets enough? You do realise that we've been running a deficit for quite a few years and that the national debt is steadily increasing?

The tax that is gain from the value of our residence is a small percentage of our total tax payment.

Income tax and VAT, will be the Government biggest income earner.

Corporation tax is the single largest source of income for the government, followed by income tax.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 14:56 ----------

Did you ever consider looking before forming an opinion and ranting?

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/

Total Spending £668.4 billion

Pensions £139.1 billion

Health Care £124.4 billion

Education £87.3 billion

Defence £42.1 billion

Welfare £113.1 billion

How much were people paying in poll tax back then compared to how much they are paying in council tax today?

Some people see anything as "unfair" if it means they have to pay for the services they use when in the past they haven't had to pay anything. These are the same people that say "tax the rich" when the question of how to fund increased government spending. "The rich" being anyone richer than themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_as_percentage_of_GDP

Perhaps some evidence might cause you to revise your opinion.

How have you worked out that central government gets enough? You do realise that we've been running a deficit for quite a few years and that the national debt is steadily increasing?

Corporation tax is the single largest source of income for the government, followed by income tax.

---------- Post added 27-08-2013 at 14:56 ----------

Did you ever consider looking before forming an opinion and ranting?

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/

Total Spending £668.4 billion

Pensions £139.1 billion

Health Care £124.4 billion

Education £87.3 billion

Defence £42.1 billion

Welfare £113.1 billion

Not forgetting this:

2014 Sock Monkey

http://amazon.co.uk/dp/3832762507