What is happening to our city?

Well, AndrewC, a complicated subject-------but to put it at its very simplest, I think that the people largely in charge of the UK, will not admit that we have some serious problems in the UK which are getting worse. This means they can carry blithely on without having to deal with the problems.

Meanwhile, the majority, the rest of us, who are not making the rules are standing by, looking on at all the corruption, incompetence, stupidity, crime and infantile culture. Maybe......maybe....one day, there will be a reversal but unfortunately it 's usually power-hungry bureaucrats who make the rules and they are very entrenched at the moment.

By ' Hand-Wringers ' and ' Do-Gooders ' I meant those people who feel that we must never offend anyone in the course of imposing discipline, respect, honesty, stamping out violence......etc.....etc.....and that of course makes curing the problems almost impossible.

Well, AndrewC, a complicated subject-------but to put it at its very simplest, I think that the people largely in charge of the UK, will not admit that we have some serious problems in the UK which are getting worse. This means they can carry blithely on without having to deal with the problems.

Meanwhile, the majority, the rest of us, who are not making the rules are standing by, looking on at all the corruption, incompetence, stupidity, crime and infantile culture. Maybe......maybe....one day, there will be a reversal but unfortunately it 's usually power-hungry bureaucrats who make the rules and they are very entrenched at the moment.

By ' Hand-Wringers ' and ' Do-Gooders ' I meant those people who feel that we must never offend anyone in the course of imposing discipline, respect, honesty, stamping out violence......etc.....etc.....and that of course makes curing the problems almost impossible.

Pile of nonsense. Old men like you always come out with this kind of tedious droning.

So what's your solution Halibut? You seem to spend a lot of time criticising others but very little time coming up with your own opinions.

So what's your solution Halibut? You seem to spend a lot of time criticising others but very little time coming up with your own opinions.

But that was kind of my point - that's all the 'non-do-gooders' are doing. Aside from "punch them in the face until they behave" I don't see what other plan they have?

It's just an excuse, another excuse for the real issue which is laziness. You can discipline a child and provide it with boundaries without having to smack it* and there is no law against offending a child. The problem is too many 'parents' are just plain lazy, or feel someone else should bringing up their child.

As for governments - I'm inclined to agree there is too much inaction, but it's not political correctness, it's that they have you over a barrell and really don't care about you. Forget your government; only local action is likely to make any difference in future societies.

*more to the point, if you do the non-violent way properly you probably produce a slightly more stable child...

Too many people expect the government to do everything for them. Look at surestart centres. The government spent millions of pounds to teach people how to do things that parents have known how to do for generations, things passed down from mother to daughter or father to son. As long as the state continues to replace parental responsibilities, we will continue to decline as a nation.

Too many people expect the government to do everything for them. Look at surestart centres. The government spent millions of pounds to teach people how to do things that parents have known how to do for generations, things passed down from mother to daughter or father to son. As long as the state continues to replace parental responsibilities, we will continue to decline as a nation.

The last government banging on about family responsibility and law and order was the Thatcher government in the 80s. That was before Mark Thatcher had to plead guilty to being part of a conspiracy to organise a coup to overthrow a foreign government. I haven't heard many people from the law and order brigade calling for him to be strung up, or even stripped of his titles. Obviously Margaret Thatcher replaced her own family responsibilities towards her son with the state.

Obviously Margaret Thatcher replaced her own family responsibilities towards her son with the state.

How do you figure that out?

What is happening to the city? Hey, go and get a bit of world experience and then you learn why it rains or the sun shines.

In what way does being in denial make them a do gooder or a hand wringer then? Or was that just the easiest insult to use about the people who are voted into power by the majority?

Meanwhile, the majority

Hold on, that's who does the voting into power...

the rest of us, who are not making the rules are standing by, looking on at all the corruption, incompetence, stupidity, crime and infantile culture. Maybe......maybe....one day, there will be a reversal but unfortunately it 's usually power-hungry bureaucrats who make the rules and they are very entrenched at the moment.

Not so entrenched that they don't require votes to stay in power though... Maybe you're majority isn't as large as you think.

By ' Hand-Wringers ' and ' Do-Gooders ' I meant those people who feel that we must never offend anyone in the course of imposing discipline

A rather inaccurate description then.

respect, honesty, stamping out violence......etc.....etc.....and that of course makes curing the problems almost impossible.

Can you give an example of this happening?

I'd wager a fiver that the parents of the kids that are being talked about hold similar opinions to Fareast. Ironic really. If they were do-gooding parents then they'd probably have brought their children up to not behave like that.

Edited by Cyclone