Error 01 on Canon SLR Camera?

Went to use my Canon EOS camera today and I got a message on the screen telling me Error 01 no contact with lens - clean the contacts.

I have 1 17mm-85mm lens fitted and never take it off.

I unscrewed the lens and cleaned the contacts, the camera worked and then reverted to the message again.

Can anyone give me advice of what is wrong or any useful tip to stop the error message repeating as it stops me taking any shots.

Help Appreciated PopT

What model of EOS camera?

Also have a look here... http://kpixel.com/wp/2011/05/canon-eos-error-01-err01-the-worst-case-scenario/

The problem is generally serious, and is usually related to either water/humidity casuing internal corrosion, or for the Rebel series if you drop it on the base you can break the ribbon cable.

Edited by Obelix

Have you tried a different lens, the 17-85 is known for this problem.

It looks like a pretty easy repair, check

Ok I just had a proper look at this repair and its not as easy as I first thought, should be manageable though with a bit of care.

Edited by Boothybabe

Thankyou for your replies Obelisk & Boothybabe

I watched the film of how to change the lens contact strip and it was scary.

Looks as if I will have to buy a new lens?

Happy Days! Popt

The problem isn't necessarily in the lens, it's in the camera body usually. Changing the lens for another may not help.

Really your best bet, not cheap though is to find a good camera shop that repairs stuff. You could try Harrison Photo Video on London road, assuming they are still there - it's been possibly 20 years since I was using them though so no idea if they still do repair work!

Harrison cameras are a Cannon accredited authorised (pro) dealership now. They've also been acredited for Nikon. They've moved across the road from their old original shop, but they're still towards the bottom end of London road, on the right hand side near the first bend as you're heading up London road from the city centre - they're walkable from the bottom of the moor. If nothing else, they can advise how much it would be to send the body/lens (or both) back to Canon for repair/recalibration, if they can't fix it on site.

Thankyou for your replies Obelisk & Boothybabe

I watched the film of how to change the lens contact strip and it was scary.

Looks as if I will have to buy a new lens?

Happy Days! Popt

Nip into Harrisons and try another lens first, then try your lens on one of their cameras. They will have seen this problem before so they can best give you advice.

EDIT : Oops ShefStealth beat me to it.