Alcohol Services in Sheffield

My son received excellent treatment at the Fitzwilliam Centre, Fitzwilliam Street, Sheffield.

There's a rubbish bin just outside there that drinkers throw their cans in just before they go in for treatment. I've seen it. Last week a woman held the door open for a bloke who was emptying a can of lager down his throat before he put the empty can in the bin.

There's a rubbish bin just outside there that drinkers throw their cans in just before they go in for treatment. I've seen it. Last week a woman held the door open for a bloke who was emptying a can of lager down his throat before he put the empty can in the bin.

cutting down on the amount of drinking is the first step to stopping.

the immediate and complete cessation of alcohol consumption by someone with a dependancy can result in withdrawl symptoms which are unpleasant and in some cases can be life threatening.

I currently have a family member who is seriously ill with alcohol issues and am wondering if anyone knows of any local services that may be of help should he recover?

I am aware that they will detox him to an extent in hospital (where he currently is) but after that I don't know where to start.

I'm also aware he may not want to get help, personally I believe he is too far gone but we have to try :(

Thanks

The Fitswilliam Centre at the bottom of the Moor is a very good counselling and informative place, you will need to be reffered but I am sure where your family member is having a detox will do this for you.

Wishing you all the best x

Edited by chelle 35
Sorry I just realised others had pointed this out x

how is he ? now my thought are with you

Edited by den37

Thank you to you kind people that have replies to my post.

Update: Despite the doctor saying he'd probably end up in Intensive Care over the weekend he has been out of bed sat in his chair and has been managing to eat a little. Until we speak to the doc tomorrow we don't know how things are going to progress or the extent of the damage done. We, as a family, are going to put as much in place as possible for him so the links and numbers provided will be useful, thank you again.

We have our fingers crossed his body will cope and he will be willing to help himself x

Thank you to you kind people that have replies to my post.

Update: Despite the doctor saying he'd probably end up in Intensive Care over the weekend he has been out of bed sat in his chair and has been managing to eat a little. Until we speak to the doc tomorrow we don't know how things are going to progress or the extent of the damage done. We, as a family, are going to put as much in place as possible for him so the links and numbers provided will be useful, thank you again.

We have our fingers crossed his body will cope and he will be willing to help himself x

good news that your family member is picking up a little, in regards to further help or treatment im sure the doctor that is dealing with him or the ward he is on can provide you with details of organisations or help groups that might help with his needs after release from hospital, or at the very least give you information leaflets with helpful numbers to contact, good luck to all of you

Hi try Fitzwilliam centre sheffield.Tel 01143050500 They will help.

good news that your family member is picking up a little, in regards to further help or treatment im sure the doctor that is dealing with him or the ward he is on can provide you with details of organisations or help groups that might help with his needs after release from hospital, or at the very least give you information leaflets with helpful numbers to contact, good luck to all of you

Firstly that is good news he is picking up a little too. However the hard part is keeping him off booze when he comes out. My late father had a situation like that. He pulled through then but ignored the advice and started drinking. He didn't make it the second time. So good that there is family there to support him but it is a struggle. I hope everything goes well for you.

Wish you good luck. I have been through this with a loved one and it is very difficult, especially as I struggled to understand why after being so ill, they continued to drink.

The liver is an amazing organ, which can recover to some extent. If they are showing the signs indicated in your post, then their body is fighting to recover.

Hope all goes well for you and your nearest and dearest.

cutting down on the amount of drinking is the first step to stopping.

the immediate and complete cessation of alcohol consumption by someone with a dependancy can result in withdrawl symptoms which are unpleasant and in some cases can be life threatening.

Maybe so but on the front of the Fitzwilliam Centre there's a sign warning that the building and area round it is an alcohol-free zone.

Hi,

Just wanted to update the kind folks that replied to my original post.

Well, he is still here and recovering slowly. All the tubes and IV's are out and he's walking around & eating, the docs are very happy with his progress (they were amazed he pulled through). He's on a cocktail of steroids, antibiotics and nutrients.

The main problem now is the swelling in his feet and stomach, he's full of fluid and although his skin isn't as yellow his eyes still are. I'm going to contact some of the places recommended on here to discuss his recovery as I really don't know how long he will be like this. I understand it's a slow process, I'd just like as much info as I can get.

Again, a huge thank you to those that replied and for the many pm's :) If anyone has any experience of the fluid build-up etc I'd appreciate to hear your experiences. x