Does anybody care which team wins?

I started watching the 2 Europa cup matches featuring Tottenham and Swansea last night, but turned them both off after about half an hour. This was partly because they weren't very exciting, but mainly because there were hardly any English players on the pitch and I found myself not caring which team won. Back in the days when English teams had English players, there was a sense of genuine national pride if they won, but now it's just one bunch of foreign mercenaries versus another bunch.

There's a sense of general complacency about how English players have been marginalised in our national game and it's hardly surprising our national team are so poor.

I started watching the 2 Europa cup matches featuring Tottenham and Swansea last night, but turned them both off after about half an hour. This was partly because they weren't very exciting, but mainly because there were hardly any English players on the pitch and I found myself not caring which team won. Back in the days when English teams had English players, there was a sense of genuine national pride if they won, but now it's just one bunch of foreign mercenaries versus another bunch.

There's a sense of general complacency about how English players have been marginalised in our national game and it's hardly surprising our national team are so poor.

Well to be fair, Swansea are Welsh not English.

But I get your point.

To answer your question, yes I do care.

Just because they have other nationalities making up their team, what does it matter?

I don't give two hoots who wins if it's not my club then i watch the game as a netural. The only time i care is when Sheffield United play their matches. I think the problem is the Europa League, it's dire.

I think it's more that the Europa league very rarely has that competitive feel to it. Main exception was when Fulham got to the final a few years back.

I don't mind the Europa League, but it shouldn't have the Champions League rejects join it halfway through. A fan should be able to look at the competition and identify the teams to beat. As it is, you think you're in with a chance, and then Chelsea or Man Utd get dumped on you in February.

Back in the 60s and 70s i quite enjoyed european football,i always cheered for the english clubs.

Back then the games could be quite tasty,and the euro teams would employ outrageous tactics to win games,diving,spitting at opponents,awfull tackles,time wasting and occasionally the ref would let lots of it go.I can still recall the 69 world champions club final when man utd played estudiantes of argentina and the spitting enraged the united players,the tackling was atrocious,but made for compelling viewing if only to witness the antics of uniteds opponents.

Back then,as stated by the op,the closest we got to foriegn was uk players,so i suppose cheering them on was natural.

League matches are not about country pride or honor, its about people from different region and countries playing together and united.

Different colours one game.

League matches are not about country pride or honor, its about people from different region and countries playing together and united.

Quite right It should be, but see above.

I don't mind the Europa League, but it shouldn't have the Champions League rejects join it halfway through. A fan should be able to look at the competition and identify the teams to beat. As it is, you think you're in with a chance, and then Chelsea or Man Utd get dumped on you in February.

(Bold) They went on to win it too.

I agree on this point- clubs eliminated from the champions league should be out of all European competitions for the rest of the season.

I gave up on league football years ago, I still kind of follow Chesterfield but very rarely go to games. The national game is the only thing that means anything anymore. Everything else is just about who has the most money.