Working While on Benefits

The bus pass forms are available at Howden House. It just needs signing by your doctor.

They've recently changed the forms to mislead people and to discourage them applying, but if you're on ESA / DLA / PIP then you'll still entitled to a free bus pass.

I agree, I never suggested signing off for self respect, unless it pays the bills and you're financially better off.

Are they called bus pass forms, I shall pop in and ask them, do I need to take any ID?

Take a tent Bedders, you could be there for days.

I have a few bin bags if that helps, and an harmonica :hihi:

Are they called bus pass forms, I shall pop in and ask them, do I need to take any ID?

No ID necessary, just ask for a disability bus pass form.

No ID necessary, just ask for a disability bus pass form.

Is the form difficult, are there certain sections that need wording right?

Is the form difficult, are there certain sections that need wording right?

Don't have one myself but yes I do believe it is designed to catch people out.

From memory I think it asks if you're on Higher Rate DLA, then goes onto ask why you can't drive or didn't qualify for blue badge.

Its still all irrelevant though because if you claim ESA / DLA / PIP you still qualify.

My advice would be to contact

http://www.mhagsheffield.org.uk/

who championed it in the first place.

Well I am on lowest rate care component.

Well I am on lowest rate care component.

As I've previously mentioned, what the form implies and asks you is not necessary for you to qualify for the free disability bus pass.

Do the job center advisor's no longer sit down with people and work out exactly how many hours they need to work to be able to live? I know they used to do this but you had to make an appointment.

You would take down all your financial outgoing details ( what your full rent etc would be) and they would calculate it all for you making it easier for you to know what to apply for.

I know this is a pretty emotional subject for some but cut him some slack. He is actively seeking work, many don't bother, but where is the point in working 8 hours a week if he can't even afford the clothes, travel to get to that job or afford a meal when he gets home.

Those who are actively seeking work should be encouraged and supported, not told to accept anything even if it means drowning in debt and being thrown out of their home.

Do the job center advisor's no longer sit down with people and work out exactly how many hours they need to work to be able to live? I know they used to do this but you had to make an appointment.

You would take down all your financial outgoing details ( what your full rent etc would be) and they would calculate it all for you making it easier for you to know what to apply for.

I know this is a pretty emotional subject for some but cut him some slack. He is actively seeking work, many don't bother, but where is the point in working 8 hours a week if he can't even afford the clothes, travel to get to that job or afford a meal when he gets home.

Those who are actively seeking work should be encouraged and supported, not told to accept anything even if it means drowning in debt and being thrown out of their home.

Yes they do provide this service still. If he works 8 hours a week JSA will still top up the earnings. Its only if you work more than 16 hours that JSA gets stopped.

Yes they do provide this service still. If he works 8 hours a week JSA will still top up the earnings. Its only if you work more than 16 hours that JSA gets stopped.

No it won't top up anything, you can only £5 whilst claiming JSA. After that for every £1 you earn you loose £1 JSA.

It's pointless working unless its 15,000 + per annum plus, or cash in hand.

Hey, the hours you can still work and sign on is up to 16 hours.

So am wondering, if you work flexible hours that can go between 2-30, is it worth taking the chance to sign off?

Also, what about 8 hours, is it worth signing off for that amount as well?

You can work however many hours you want, but once you get past a certain number of hours (16) they then ask you how much you're earning, then make a deduction...

you can (in theory) continue signing on, but earn more than you would get on JSA (but maybe not enough for a full time wage) - which would mean you would still be entitled to partial (or maybe full) Housing / Council tax benefit, and free NHS/prescriptions etc...

You may also be entitled to working tax credit, which can vary depending on age / wage...

best option, talk to the JobCentre, say you're wondering about the limitations, and they can do all the calculations for you..

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 19:05 ----------

It's pointless working unless its 15,000 + per annum plus, or cash in hand.

That's a lie, £13,124.80/pa is the national minimum wage (from 1st Oct 2013)

Which is £1094 / month

And that's before tax and NI

(£6.31 p/hour, 8 hrs/day, 5 days/week, paid 4 weekly, (13 pays per year))