The West End, Glossop Road

Anyone know what's going on at The West End?

I really liked it before the last owners had to give it up at Christmas - it was quirky and friendly and fun - sadly couldn't sustain quite enough trade to keep open.

There's workmen there every day when I walk past, so it's obviously re-opening soon.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what sort of vibe the new landlords are going for. The big "BT Sport" banners make me a little nervous that it won't be my sort of pub.

Cheers.

I class the West End as my first 'local', even though I used to live a good three miles away from there toward Fulwood.

Used to go every Friday and Saturday night between 1986 and 1988 frequenting the top bar. The downstairs bar used to be four and five deep in those days, so busy I would often buy two pints at once! It was Tetley, Tetley Mild and the likes of Skol lager back then and I think a pint of bitter was about 86p.

Good times.

No idea Lou. Haven't been there for years myself. But you're right those signs don't look good!

On a similar note - any ideas on the Howard? Looks like they have knocked into the old record shop next door and are having a major refurb. And not before time either. I live in hope that the beer range will be improved also giving a nice little run from the Rutland to the Tap

Every time i drive or walk past The West End i always look at the place and think "that should be a fantastic place".........but it isn't and hasn't been for years, a real shame if you ask me :(

I also remember it being a decent pub in the 1980s. I go in every time it appears to have changed in some way, thinking it might have become a good pub again. It hasn't each time so far. I went in about 2 months ago, there was one other customer (not counting the barman's mate sat by the bar). There was hardly anywhere to sit, almost the only furniture being a knackered sofa jammed next to the games machines. One half of the front room was occupied by a pool table. Dreadful.

It could be a really great place again - the York just up the road is the model to go for.

No idea Lou. Haven't been there for years myself. But you're right those signs don't look good!

On a similar note - any ideas on the Howard? Looks like they have knocked into the old record shop next door and are having a major refurb. And not before time either. I live in hope that the beer range will be improved also giving a nice little run from the Rutland to the Tap

Do keep in mind the Howard is owned by Marstons...

The only good thing about that place was that they had Old Peculier on tap.