Jobless youth lack Brit grit

If the youth of today is lazy, workshy and innumerate then previous generations need to take the hit. It must be our fault, people are not born workshy its our fault for not giving them the work ethic. The wages on offer to today's youngsters are a disgrace. In 1982 I took home £110 a week in the final year of my apprenticeship. Something has gone awry.

We are now in a situation where people go out to work and are deemed not to earn enough to live on, they pay tax and NI but still need to claim this allowance or another. Someone needs to administer this, so we have jobs in the public sector that are there to hand out money to other public sector workers. It is madness. If employers paid a proper wage then we would have no need to subsidise their staff with government (ie taxes) money. Who benefits from all this? The private sector who pay low wages, get the taxpayer to subsidise them, make a profit and then turn around and tell us that because they are registered in a small town in Luxembourg that they don't have to pay any corporation tax. The system needs to be redesigned, not fixed. The Country is going bust and its got a lot more to do with capitalism in the private sector and soviet style collectivism in the public service than it has to do with immigration. Wake up.

That's a great wage you used to get!

Do you not think wages in the private sector would be considerably higher without the mass immigration we have seen in the past 15 years or so? And that employers might be more willing to take youngsters on if they didn't have the option of immigrant labour?

Do you not think wages in the private sector would be considerably higher without the mass immigration we have seen in the past 15 years or so? And that employers might be more willing to take youngsters on if they didn't have the option of immigrant labour?

No. What would you rather take on, an immigrant or someone who can speak good English. There is something seriously wrong with our young jobless people if companies pick immigrants who don't have a grasp of the language over them

I agree that there is something wrong. But when employers have immigrants to employ, there is no pressing concern to correct what has gone wrong. So it is just left to continue going wrong.

No I don't. Immigrants need to eat and keep warm too, the myth that mass immigration leads to lower wages is laughable. Its the system that is wrong, our tax and benefits system is the most complicated in the world. Believe me in a recession most of the migrants will go back and when the 'green shoots' are showing another wave will return. Boom or bust we still have a ridiculous system and we will still have a rump of indigenous people who will not work, what ever is on offer.

---------- Post added 28-08-2013 at 13:54 ----------

That's a great wage you used to get!

Not really, I was 21 and at Stanley tools, my mates at the coal board or steelworks earned quite a bit more.

No I don't. Immigrants need to eat and keep warm too, the myth that mass immigration leads to lower wages is laughable.

Even Gordon Brown admitted that mass immigration had prevented "wage inflation" aka it kept wages low. How on earth can an increased supply of workers NOT lead to lower wages? It's basic economics.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

A 21/22 year old fresh out of University graduate will START on £16,000-£25,000+ minimum. So their hard work achieving a good quality degree will be rewarded. They're are 100's of high quality graduate schemes offered by many major companies. Lots of exciting opportunities for graduates. And remember, the student debt doesn't even need paying back until earning over around £25k and even then the monthly is so small it's irrelevant. All youngsters who worked hard at school and achieve good grades will have the opportunity of University. Up to them to grab it.

Youngsters who leave school around 16-18 with poor qualifications will mostly only be offered jobs at the lower end. To be honest, they should be jumping for joy if offered a job in McDonald's, after all, they failed at school. Failure shouldn't be rewarded and certainly shouldn't be a lifestyle. If you fail at school, it's up to you to put that right or crappy jobs forever will be your lot and you'll have to work up the hard way.

Life is a choice, we are all a product of our past decisions.

But most young people don't go to university and get good degrees. There are only a small number of good universities and only a certain number of their students will get good degrees. What does everyone else do?

But most young people don't go to university and get good degrees. There are only a small number of good universities and only a certain number of their students will get good degrees. What does everyone else do?

Get a job and work their way up. Factories, shops, restaurants, coffee shops, apprenticeships, learn a trade....

You are so full of excuses to justify failure. Everyone who fails at school will have to pay some price. As it should be.

Get a job and work their way up. Factories, shops, restaurants, coffee shops, apprenticeships, learn a trade....

Yeah well, our schools (and parents) don't seem to be preparing the youth for that. It's either "uni" or the dole. How many teachers have done any of those things? Most of them just went from school to university then back to school.

Even Gordon Brown admitted that mass immigration had prevented "wage inflation" aka it kept wages low. How on earth can an increased supply of workers NOT lead to lower wages? It's basic economics.

Its the other way around Brown knew it but couldn't admit it. We need these people to do what our own workers will not entertain, back in the day it was bus drivers and hospital staff that we needed, they came because the chance of work was there. If the economic/hospitality sector of London was only allowed to employ anglo saxons the City would implode. People come here for work and a better life. Some of our lot would not dream of going South to work in a Hotel or Restaurant. But hey lets blame the Polish.