Warning about sky broadband

I rang sky to cancel my phone/broadband account last November. I was told that I need do no more as I was moving to talk talk who should notify them at a later date. (I specifically rang to cancel myself, as I never trust another company to do it correctly.)

Talk talk installed in December as expected, and I assumed my sky account had been cancelled. This month I noticed that sky have continued taking money out of my bank every month, so I have asked them for a refund.

Sky say it is impossible to refund me as they kept my account open "in good faith" as they expected talk talk to ask them to close it. They also say that instead of taking over the line, talk talk installed a new line (which is presumably why talk talk didn't contact sky).

I find it incredible that sky are refusing to refund my money even though they acknowledged that I rang them to cancel, and they know that I haven't used any of their services since.

According to sky the matter is now over. Does anybody have any advice on my next step? Apart from discouraging people from joining a company with such appalling customer service.

Sounds more like a mistake with Talk Talk. Do you have evidence that you asked them to liaise with Sky to switch your service? If so, explain that you expect to be reimbursed.

It may be that talk talk have made a mistake, although I don't think so. The fact that sky acknowledge that I rang them and asked to cancel but they didn't cancel because they expected talk talk to do it for me, surely should give sky reason to think a refund should be in order? Reading on other forums, it appears they like to mistreat customers who leave them for another company. The irony is that I was going to go back to sky as we got a better connection with them!

Speak to trading standards, sounds like Sky are taking the urine if they are acknowledging that you phoned to cancel but they didn't cancel as they were expecting someone else to cancel on your behalf.

See I had this but the other way around when I left TalkTalk for Sky.

Luckily the Openzone engineer realised I already had a broadband connection and queried it with me and his office.

Sky had spoken to TalkTalk prior and claimed I'd not asked to discontinue their service.

Given TT record of poor service I'd probably look towards TT being in the wrong here and never telling Sky they were supposed to be taking over services.

Forget all the trading standards/CAB - you haven't given a formal opportunity to put things right.

I can see why Sky wouldn't cancel a service until they are sure they have to (otherwise the thread would be "I rang Sky to tell them I was moving provider and they cut the service then and there" - it's kind of a no-win situation for them).

There's a process called "porting" where a new provider will notify the old provider and take over. It sounds like Sky thought your new provider would put in a porting request and TalkTalk didn't do that (perhaps you told them you'd rung Sky to cancel?).

Either way, it's just an admin hiccup.

If you're sure of the facts, I'd be putting a written complaint into Sky. If they still say they won't refund, then (depending on how you paid), you may be able to get the money back from the bank (but that's then involving another party and won't address the issue that Sky provided a service they think they were meant to i.e. their "no payment received" processes might then kick in). Alternatively, you could pursue TalkTalk if you're sure you asked them to transfer the service.

In any case, I'd be doing all communication to all parties in the form of a letter now.

One thing I can't understand is how you didn't notice the money going out of your account every month. I would know they've taken it the first time they shouldn't have and been onto them that day.

One thing I can't understand is how you didn't notice the money going out of your account every month. I would know they've taken it the first time they shouldn't have and been onto them that day.

I too find it surprising the amount of people that don't look through their statement, 9 months without noticing money disappearing is along time.

We run our household like a business and keep accounts, every penny we spend is accounted for and documented.:)

I too find it surprising the amount of people that don't look through their statement, 9 months without noticing money disappearing is along time.

We run our household like a business and keep accounts, every penny we spend is accounted for and documented.:)

I'm exactly the same! Must check my online banking nearly every day!!

Your contract is with Sky. The third party broadband provider is irrelevant in law.

Did you write to Sky, or just a phone call? A letter is always solid proof.

If you terminated that contract, and they still took money, then they are wrong. Threaten them with court. That always gets things moving.

I'm exactly the same! Must check my online banking nearly every day!!

They're probably too wealthy to notice a few bob missing or have far more important things to worry about. Like where did the missus get the money to buy that new outfit.

I check my accounts several times a week.