Toxic pond Hillsborough, Please do not move to pets section

Just a word of warning to fellow dog walkers or folks with young kids.

My dog drunk out of the pond in Hillsborough and three hours later was violently sick 25+ times. He had to go to the vets as an emergency to have anti sickness injections after retching continually.

My friend has said there are warning signs regarding poisonous algae, but I have not noticed them despite walkling him in the park twice a day.

If there is a problem with the lake, the signs should be more prominent, so I wanted to warn people in case.

He seems better now but has been a stressful and expensive experience.

The EA/council do put signs up but they are quickly torn down by chavvy kids.

Pity chavs don't drink it!

Ahahah..

Or don't let your dog drink water from a pond?

Why would the OP think there was an issue if there were no warning signs ? :huh:

I can't be doing with trolls - this is a genuine warning that may save a dog or little kid.

I was not aware that the 'status' of the pond had changed - my dog has had a sneaky sip before with no ill effects, he is a dog after all and I would rather him have a strong immune system then sheltering him from seemingly innocent pond water, after all there are duck in the pond, right?

I usually carry water with me on this occasion he had a sneaky drink while I was feeding the ducks some leftover bread.

I feel guilty enough as it is for taking my eye off the ball, so to speak for a second and causing him so much misery.

If I can spare someone else the experience, shoot me, next time it could be a toddler!!

I can't be doing with trolls - this is a genuine warning that may save a dog or little kid.

I was not aware that the 'status' of the pond had changed - my dog has had a sneaky sip before with no ill effects, he is a dog after all and I would rather him have a strong immune system then sheltering him from seemingly innocent pond water, after all there are duck in the pond, right?

I usually carry water with me on this occasion he had a sneaky drink while I was feeding the ducks some leftover bread.

I feel guilty enough as it is for taking my eye off the ball, so to speak for a second and causing him so much misery.

If I can spare someone else the experience, shoot me, next time it could be a toddler!!

Ignore it, it'll go away.

No one's doubting you. You've made a good point about toxic algae ... I was unaware of this, I'm sure others are too. Ignore the troll. :)

Thanks for the info glad your dog is ok now

It will be blue-green algae, I know them as blauwalg (Dutch) as they are a big problem in Dutch water when there is a prolonged warm period like we have had, in the Netherlands lots of people swim in natural water so it is a more well-known phenomena.

They cause sickness but can also trigger other symptoms like skin problems, fever and eye-problems, they should go away after some time so no real need to go to the vet unless they last longer than a handful of days.

It is more common in water that has birds in it as the droppings form a source of food for the algae. Thanks for putting the warning here, the council should put signs IN the pond, that will stop them being taken down (that and stopping the countless fairs we have had over the last few years).