Memories of Roxy's Nightclub

i met my wife in roxy's in 1984,i was supposed to be going to romeo's that night..........lifes a bitch innit :)

I remember going back in the 70s when it was the Top Rank it had a teens night on a Tuesday, tried to get in on my Stag night back in 1981 but they wouldn't let us in because there was about 30 of us. Last went around 1997 but can't remember when it closed.

Appreciate some of you have good memories but doesn't anyone else think the de-funct building should be either knocked down or re-instated as a super-club for Sheffield...especially when all its being used for is some neo- Christian charity parade.

Don't get me wrong, (I'm catholic) but shouldn't such a big building (which is obviously on quite expensive land rights) and one of key location be put to better use???

am I on my own here or what???

My time here was the mid 90s and I must say the place had the worst fizzy pish in plastic pot I've ever tasted. Of course I went back the next Wednesday and the next....

Even got to dance onstage with Leo Sayer. BABY! Whats happening to the place now then?

Killian,

What or who was The Crazy Daisy? I last went to Roxy's in 1996 and have obviously missed out on this.

Originally posted by Marmite Man

Whats happening to the place now then?

It was being used as headquarters/church for some dodgy religious group, but its now empty.

I went to Roxy's from 1993-96 on either a Friday or Saturday night. When I went the place was always full.

At around midnight they used to play what they called 'party' music end encouraged people to sing along or dance. They had two girls in lycra cycling shorts dancing on stage; I think one of them was called Joanne.

They also had an area where they served food; burgers, chips that sort of thing. I never had any of it though.

What do other people remember from this time?

Originally posted by slimsid2000

Killian,

What or who was The Crazy Daisy?

the daisy was a club near the cathedral....just near the top of york street where the sheffield star offices are.i think there's a news agents or a key cutting shop where it used to be just up from cavells......i never got to go in it when it was the daisy as i wasn't old enough but a few years later it changed to the geisha bar and i used to go in quite often.if memory serves me correctly the daisy was a very dodgey place to go.

Poxy Roxy's as I remember it. Wot a laugh. :D

There were people laughing, sad, mad, kissing, blushing, ******, dancing, shagging (supposed its called cavorting these days) and doing just about anything that could not be done at any other venue in the city centre - I was not one of them shagging people though.

Cant remember much else about Poxy's because I was always too ****** but I do remember it was one hell of a laugh unlike the "clubs" that are open nowadays in the centre of Sheffield, not that i'm getting old or anything cos i'm really not that old, honestly.

Had loads laughs at that joint - the good old days. :thumbsup:

one of my teachers was telling us about it the other day and the way he put it was:

"you never walked out of roxys, you crawled"

sounds like a good night to me!!

as for the church thing.. is it actually used for anything anymore, as quite a few of my friends and people i know spend a hell of a lot of time sitting on the steps on the front of the old roxy and either when i have been there or when people have been talking about it, there has never been any signs of anything happening there at all!

I remember those early 90's once a month rock nights - lots of hair spray (not me you understand - I was far too grunge!) and taps that were far too difficult to work when drunk...

Those were the days...

been meaning to photograph that Roxy's logo for months - is it still up there??