Memories of Roxy's Nightclub

Originally posted by ryan123

i was wondering if any1 took any pics of roxys when it was an actual good nightclub?

Good venue for gigs but it hasn't ever been a good night club. :gag:

Originally posted by the_rudeboy

Oh well. I got plenty of tips which is all I cared about at the time. :D

Originally posted by the_rudeboy

haha cool, i dint get chance to see it.. it seems to have been stood there for years! why cant some1 do something with it??

Ah, so Roxy's used to be the Top Rank club..... I wondered what the signs at the zebra crossing on Pond Street were referring to that say "No access except for buses and deliveries to the Top Rank club"... If it was called that all those years ago, it's amazing those signs are still there!

(apologies if someone's already pointed this out, I've not read all the thread :P)

I'm from Liverpool but spent 12 fantastic years in Sheffield.

Roxy's was my favourite club cos thats where i was when a certain young lady approached me, ripped open her dress to reveal a red lacy basque, heaven......

I worked in the Manor, anyone know Mezzy or remember the Pheonix Youth Club?

:heyhey:

Originally posted by ste_doyle

anyone know Mezzy or remember the Pheonix Youth Club?

:heyhey:

Don't remember those two - but remember copping off alright!! . . almost everytime I was in Roxy's ( oh, the shame! ).

Great nights though . . . aaaaah!:rolleyes:

I worked there for a while and some of the things I saw :gag:

thank god I never pulled in the place !

Originally posted by slimsid2000

I thought I'd just ask the origional question again as it is over a year since my origional post and in that time there may be new members who have memories of Roxy's. Also do people remember Cairo's, Josaphines or Issabellas (later Uropa) from around that same period?

as a teenager in the early 80's, romeo and juliets and josephines were our regular haunts. we started going to roxys for a change, and then when we discovered rock music, we'd go to romeos or josi's for a couple of hours before trekking down to rebels. regulars at the rock night at roxys too.

good times:thumbsup:

I went to steeleys and then roxys.Remember everyone getting on dance floor and doing that dance though cant quite think of the song.I think it was aint no mountain crossed with some thing else but dont know what cos my memory is terrible.I saw abc on stage there.

who remembers grab a granny no dancing then iwill survive comes on widows spinsters tare arsing to the dance floor . Or that advert on radio hallam "oi what you doin on friday all lasses from our factory are goin darn to roxxy " priceless

Originally posted by spikey

who remembers grab a granny no dancing then iwill survive comes on widows spinsters tare arsing to the dance floor . Or that advert on radio hallam "oi what you doin on friday all lasses from our factory are goin darn to roxxy " priceless

Oh my God!!! That is sooo right about I will Survive. :hihi:

I used to go to the under 16/?18s night on Tuesdays, when my friend and I were 14. We both got our bums pinched for the first time whilst walking up the steps to the upstairs level. It would have been about 1973/74 then. It was just called the Top Rank then. They used to have nights which were sponsored by Radio Luxembourg ... Fab 208 ... and their DJs would turn up, Kid Jensen and Mark Wesley were the ones I remember seeing.

Around 77/79 it changed to Steely's ... when I first met my husband he was turned away because his trousers looked like jeans, they had a no jeans policy. Around this time they started to have the Rock/New Wave/Punk concerts there ... under another title, something like Improvision. Amongst others, I saw The Clash and the Stranglers there.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone?