New motorway service station

The brownfield site is the best option it will offer direct access for north bound drivers and an already existing route for south bound drivers.

An interesting piece on the 'biodiversity offsetting' tactics associated with this proposed development by George Monbiot in the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/22/price-natural-world-agenda-ignores-destroys

So according to that link,the monks from kirkstead abbey in lincolnshire used to get charcoal from these woods,even if that was true [which i doubt]if the service station does get built then surely they will be selling charcoal there.:hihi:

So according to that link,the monks from kirkstead abbey in lincolnshire used to get charcoal from these woods,even if that was true [which i doubt]if the service station does get built then surely they will be selling charcoal there.:hihi:

I don't see why they wouldn't have got charcoal from there. Maybe not that exact spot, but the wood was a lot larger in those times. Apparently there is a stained glass window in the Cathedral depicting said monks working iron at their grange on Thorpe Common. Don't know whether this link will work, but one of the objectors has included some information from a book on the woodland http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/9A17A52175545F0ECFD5AD8187DC8F53/pdf/14_01079_OUT-NEIGHBOUR_-_JONES-772067.pdf

The planning application is closed for comments, but there were 94 public comments, most of which are objecting.

Edited by HJL_Shef
Edited link

I don't see why they wouldn't have got charcoal from there. Maybe not that exact spot, but the wood was a lot larger in those times. There is a petition on the Woodland Trust website https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/campaigning/campaigns/smithy-wood/

The planning application is closed for comments, but there were 94 public comments, most of which are objecting.

Im pretty sure there were a hell of a lot more trees much closer to lincolnshire than these woods.

Im pretty sure there were a hell of a lot more trees much closer to lincolnshire than these woods.

All of Clumber for a start... (I know it wasn't Clumber then but you know what I mean)

All of Clumber for a start... (I know it wasn't Clumber then but you know what I mean)

Exactly.:)

There is an application going ahead for planning premission to build a motorway services in ancient woodland new Chapeltown. There are alternative sites more suitable and actually there is no real need. This is just developers after some profit and landowners who want shut of an unprofitable plot. In actuallity these woods are over 800 years old, they've survived fllods, fires, the building of the M1 and allsorts. I'm sure you don't need me to explain why such seemingly irelevant places have to be conserved; not just for the tree0huggers, birs and bees. But in order for the planet to continue as habitable for everyone. Please copy and paste either of the links below

https://www.facebook.com/thewoodlandtrust?fref=ts

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/campaigning/campaigns/smithy-wood-application

It's abit late now I think.

I do think they should be using the brown belt site thats spitting distance, but the palms have been greased and the decision has gone thru.

It's abit late now I think.

I do think they should be using the brown belt site thats spitting distance, but the palms have been greased and the decision has gone thru.

It's too late to object, but a decision hasn't been made - it's still 'pending consideration'.

AT LAST! Thank GOD!

At the moment we have to drive all the way up to Junction 36 where there is, 1 mile from the junction, fuel, a MuckDonalds, Taybarns and a Premier Inn, catering for eating (of sorts), refueling, resting and sleeping. It's been fine for HGVs for years

It will be so great not to have to make that arduous trek

And if you come off the roundabout at junction 35 where it is proposed you only have to drive just under a mile into the centre of Chapeltown where there are countless places to eat, 2 pubs that do accommodation and public toilets. I know it would create new jobs but why not support the local businesses that are already in situ and avoid them struggling in this climate more than they have to.

Objection submitted - this needs doing before 16th May please if you object to this plan get an objection sent in and make sure you have signed the petition!

I don't use Smithy Wood but I do use other nearby woods, I would hate to see them threatened so feel it's important to speak up.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 16:15 ----------

It's too late to object, but a decision hasn't been made - it's still 'pending consideration'.

Not too late to object mate, get it done either via the Trust's website at the link provided by Genghis or Click Here

Objection submitted - this needs doing before 16th May please if you object to this plan get an objection sent in and make sure you have signed the petition!

I don't use Smithy Wood but I do use other nearby woods, I would hate to see them threatened so feel it's important to speak up.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 16:15 ----------

Not too late to object mate, get it done either via the Trust's website at the link provided by Genghis or Click Here

My apologies. In the comments tab it said 'comments may not be submitted at this time', which I took to mean that comments have closed. It would appear that when you log in, you can still comment, and the deadline is 16th May. A touch confusing! Perhaps they've purposefully put the message up to discourage comments in order to save themselves some work sifting through them all.