Lane swimming : courtesy and discipline

This should be actively managed by the attendants all the time. As new swimmer's get in they should be monitored and advised which lane is best for them. I have never seen an attendant do this and it should be their job to create harmony and give everyone the best swimming experience possible.

:) if only this did happen. At my local pool it's a right free for all. Half of the time they don't separate the lanes either. Cue absolute chaos!

This should be actively managed by the attendants all the time. As new swimmer's get in they should be monitored and advised which lane is best for them. I have never seen an attendant do this and it should be their job to create harmony and give everyone the best swimming experience possible.

I went to Hillsborough on Wednesday, since our lad was born we go there once a week rather than PF so he can swim, and there was the worst example of the above, or lack of it.

In the "fast" lane were 5 or 6 swimmers, that`s a lot in a 20m pool.

In the "medium" lanes" there were 4 in one and 3 in the other.

In the "slow" lanes there were also 4 in one and 3 in the other.

Some of those in the "fast" lane were no faster (and possibly slower) than a number of the swimmers in the "medium" lanes. I actually swam in the "medium" lane which had 3 swimmers in it (despite being probably the fastest swimmer there) because swimming in a 20m lane with 5 or 6 other slower swimmers in it would be incredibly frustrating, require frequent overtaking and be generally unpleasant for both me and them.

It was so ridiculous that I even hinted to the life guard that some reorganisation would be beneficial, his response was, as you say, "nothing to do with me".....

Edited by Justin Smith

I think that swimmers getting in should be very very careful when they time their entry, particularly if they jump in. It is actually potentially dangerous, someone jumps in just as another swimmer comes in (a bit ignorant anyway) and ends up landing on the swimmer who has just done a turn and swum straight off. If they happened to land on the swimmers back it doesn`t even bear thinking about........

More than possibly any other sport enjoyment of lane swimming depends so much on the courtesy of others.

I find people much more considerate during quiet times than when busy which is the time you need it even more.For that reason I won't swim at peak periods.

• Like 1

More than possibly any other sport enjoyment of lane swimming depends so much on the courtesy of others.

I find people much more considerate during quiet times than when busy which is the time you need it even more.For that reason I won't swim at peak periods.

Oh yes, I`d agree with you, but sometimes one doesn`t have any choice. That said, if the lanes are really full (and even in fast/medium/slow lanes the difference in speed is generally too great) it`s almost impossible to get a good workout....... So yes, may as well stay at home !

Oh yes, I`d agree with you, but sometimes one doesn`t have any choice. That said, if the lanes are really full (and even in fast/medium/slow lanes the difference in speed is generally too great) it`s almost impossible to get a good workout....... So yes, may as well stay at home !

If Ponds Forge is too full then nip over the roundabout to Victoria Quays

It depends what I'm training for. Most of the time I'm there doing lungs, so i just spend most of the time swimming under other swimmers... works for oncoming swimmers and slower swimmers too. Maybe we should be doing this more?

If Ponds Forge is too full then nip over the roundabout to Victoria Quays

That`s probably not going to be that likely :

I pay about £300 a year (up front) to be in Fitness Unlimited, i.e. access to all SIV venues. I nearly said I can get in for free, but it`s not "free" is it ! It`s prepaid. The only pool I regularly pay to swim at is Losehill House Spa, and that`s only because you can take pics of your child swimming and it`s the perfect pool to encourage my three year old to swim. It`s just deep enough so he can`t easily bounce off the bottom and it`s not so big he`s intimidated by it !

Ponds Forge is the only public swimming pool whose water is cool enough to work hard in. I`d be surprised if a Hotel pool isn`t warm, as in probably too warm.

Are you saying that the pool at Victoria Quays is laned off and empty enough to swim hard ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Yeah I have the yearly option too works out about £25 a month.

I love just about everything about Ponds fantastic venue its a great gym too now they have had the re-fit but mainly use it for the international pool which is the best I have been to anywhere.

Most gym pools are way to small and are to warm more like bath water!

Are you saying that the pool at Victoria Quays is laned off and empty enough to swim hard ?

Not the Sheffield Hilton Pool, I mean Victoria Quays. Should have no problem with bumping into people or overheating.

Edited by ihpb

Go to Virgin Millhouses for a swim

Yeah I have the yearly option too works out about £25 a month.

I love just about everything about Ponds fantastic venue its a great gym too now they have had the re-fit but mainly use it for the international pool which is the best I have been to anywhere.

Most gym pools are way to small and are to warm more like bath water!

I find the water at PF "easier" somehow, I don`t know why. Don`t get me wrong swimming (hard) is still hard work, but it seems even harder at, say, Hillsborough, you can almost convince yourself there`s a current running against you !

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 09:55 ----------

Not the Sheffield Hilton Pool, I mean Victoria Quays. Should have no problem with bumping into people or overheating.

Yes, very good.

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 09:56 ----------

Go to Virgin Millhouses for a swim

How warm is it, how long, and how crowded ?