Lane swimming : courtesy and discipline

Freestyle isn't a stroke, it just means what it says. You could swim breaststroke if you wished in a freestyle competition.

Freestyle isn't a stroke, it just means what it says. You could swim breaststroke if you wished in a freestyle competition.

You are technically correct but swimmers just get into the habit of calling front crawl freestyle, or just "free", as in "100m free".

Come on Cyclone take a day off for once!

Attendants or Life Guards.

Most Breast strokers not all.

Australian Crawl not freestyle.

At the end of the day do these picky points make any difference to the thread.............

It all comes down to common sense …. Something that is sadly missing all too much these days. :mad:

Come on Cyclone take a day off for once!

Attendants or Life Guards.

Most Breast strokers not all.

Australian Crawl not freestyle.

At the end of the day do these picky points make any difference to the thread.............

If you just use the right words in the first place then there's no room for confusion.

I would agree it`d be nice if Reccy assistants sometimes "advised" swimmers to change lanes but like you I`ve never seen it done, ever. On the other hand I`m a relatively quick swimmer (for a lanes swimmer) but I don`t always go in the fast lane if that has significantly more swimmers in it than one of the medium lanes. I think it`s safer to go in a lane where the swimmers might be a bit slower but there are fewer of them.

Gordon Bennett, what gives ? ! ?

I went lane swimming at PF last night. Apparently it`s usual on Tues and Thurs for there only to be 3x50m lanes. That`s theoretically the equivalent of 6x25m lanes, but it isn`t really. Anyway I started off in the fast lane but gradually more and more swimmers came into that lane and fewer and fewer were swimming the the medium lane till there were 6 swimmers in the fast lane but only 2 in the medium lane !

Why do swimmers do that ? I had to swap into the medium lane because none of the others in the fast lane (even the slowest) wanted to ! Is it because some swimmers think they`re fast and so should be in the fast lane as a badge of honour or something ? Personally I couldn`t care less what lane I`m in so long as it means the least chance of having to overtake anyone else (or be overtaken), and with 2 swimmers in the medium lane and 6 in the fast lane it should be a no brainer (even for me despite probably being the fastest swimmer there last night, not that that`s saying much I hasten to add ! ).

Edited by Justin Smith

Swimming is one of those activity's that is fantastic when pool is quiet.

However it can be a nightmare when busy.

I always time my visits when its quiet these days.

To much hassle at peak times and to many people who seem oblivious to others.

I agree Fast swimmers seem to think it is their right to carry on regardless and they never give way or wait 5 secs at end of pool

They have a very superior attitude as if it is their private pool :rant:

It does seem to be busier in the pools so i go in working hours and have the lane to myself. Courtesy is easy if you understand the rules. I find that lifeguards are unwilling to challenge those that could be more informed.

Haven't been swimming in a couple of year now, was going regular but it got so busy where I went, you'd have 10 people sharing a single lane. Your head would be up somebody's arse, and somebody's head up thine. Got so annoying I just stopped going. And then local pools have been closed down, so the lanes are no doubt even busier now.

I agree Fast swimmers seem to think it is their right to carry on regardless and they never give way or wait 5 secs at end of pool

They have a very superior attitude as if it is their private pool :rant:

I often wait five seconds, and more, at the end just to give me a decent flow for a measly 25 metres, or swim a different stroke or get a float. I even change lanes when doing different drills so not as to fit in with other speeds.

But, why can't people swim in the lane appropriate to their speed - its not rocket science. Or have a wider lane to allow for an overtaking direction.

If its too busy even with everyone trying to get along, I just get out. That is annoying but sometimes it has to be done.

Guest sibon
. And then local pools have been closed down,

Are you sure that you haven't got swimming pools mixed up with libraries.

That would explain why you were finding swimming so difficult.