Death traps in the woods

Lets hope the cretin placing these objects in the paths dies pretty soon and is reincarnated as less of a dick too.

Branches fall in the woods, it as likely that Mother Nature is dealing with the dirt bikes

And if you can't slow down to avoid branches and rocks, you might not be able to slow down to avoid a group of children.

"...i cant believe no one has been seriously hurt..."

cycling,i do try to be polite and courteous to other users .

alot of these obstacles are positioned just after a blind turn etc .

does it make it ok to cause harm to people !

Because it's REALLY sensible and "polite and courteous" for you to go hurtling around a blind bend. :rolleyes:

What if next time that "obstruction" is a small child? Did you think about that whilst you were ranting in your OP?

so what speed ARE you tearing around the woods at that makes avoiding such obstacles as trees, children and wildlife immpossible?

I turn your question around on you, what makes you think that YOU are OK dashing around possibly causing harm to people?

It's totally wrong for people to place hazards to harm cyclists/bikers.

But it's going to continue, as lots of people are clearly enraged by the numbers of illegal motor bikes that they know full well could kill their children in the woods.

To that extent, cyclists need to be aware that if they bomb around the woods without taking heed of the possibility of such deliberatly places obstacles, they could well get badly injured.

Ride accordingly- your own example concerning blind turns shows a lack of regard to other woods users- if cyclists go round blind corners at such speed that they can't stop in time if there's a hazard there, then presumably they'd plough into any small child running ahead of it's parents on a family walk?

Much as I oppose the placing of such obstacles- when it comes to idiots on bikes bombing round the woods with no regard for others, is it not preferable that they come a cropper on an obstacle, than for them to run into a child?

The solution is simple- slow down when approaching bends that can't be seen round, that way the cyclists doesn't run into either children on the path, or, bits of wire/wood strung across it.

just a little rant , after years of riding in woods all over sheffield it seems to be getting popular again to put branches ,tree trunks , rocks etc etc on the single tracks,paths etc . seems as though they want to stop something but i cant believe no one has been seriously hurt with these actions.

if somebody did get hurt or died do we think the said person who put them there would come forward ,mmm.:rant:

Perhaps someone is pointing out which paths are footpath and which are bridleways.

Perhaps someone is pointing out which paths are footpath and which are bridleways.

You beat me to it. The people who maintain the paths do a very good job if you ask me. Barring an act of nature (the idea that a branch may fall from a tree onto a path by itself, with no one there to immediately move it), the various pathways are well looked after.

Although I doubt if you'd go to prison for it, by cycling along a footpath, you may very well expect to come across obstacles, natural or otherwise. A bridleway is obviously different and is kept clear to allow cycling, motorbikes and horses as well as walkers.

If the O/P's talking about obstacles on a bridleway, maybe he could help maintain the path by moving the offensive object.

Just a minor point alcoblog, motorbikes are not allowed on bridleways.

Just a minor point alcoblog, motorbikes are not allowed on bridleways.

Yeah you're right ... sorry, my mistake.

I was thinking of one particular route I know which, although mainly used by walkers and cyclists, does allow motorbikes (and I guess 4WD if they can negotiate it?) ... not a bridleway, but a byway.

Putting tree trunks/branches across woodland paths has been done in the past in the Norton/Moss valley area by horse riders for training purposes

Lets hope the cretin placing these objects in the paths dies pretty soon and is reincarnated as less of a dick too.

Thats a bit harsh!

---------- Post added 20-08-2013 at 13:30 ----------

And if you can't slow down to avoid branches and rocks, you might not be able to slow down to avoid a group of children.

"...i cant believe no one has been seriously hurt..."

Thats a good point. I have woods near me and the kids like playing in them. I think ill put a stop to that now i know there are idiotic people hooning around on bikes whilst they are out there playing.

Putting tree trunks/branches across woodland paths has been done in the past in the Norton/Moss valley area by horse riders for training purposes

And putting fences, logs, kissing gates and styles across pathways is often done to prevent abuse by horses, motorbikes, cyclists and 4*4s.