Where can I get a cake stand?

Hi all,

I am after a 3 tier round cake stand, my fiancé's auntie is making our cake and the stand supplied by our venue is not the right size: the tiers she is making are 10, 8 and 6 inches.

Seen some on ebay etc, but they all have 'rings' for the cake bases and most of those rings are too big! if they were plates this would not be a problem but, of course, with a ring the cake base will simply fall through if it's too small.

I have already bought the bases so getting bigger bases isn't an option..

Does anyone know where I can hire a cake stand that would fit our requirements? Or buy one, if it is cheaper..?

Thank you in advance :)

Is there a stand on the market that rents cake things out? I've never been but have heard people talk about it, maybe someone else can confirm??

Hi there I haven't been to the market in ages as I don't work in town and live quite far out - if someone can confirm that would be great :)

the shop on the gallery over the castle market , is now closed

Hi all,

I am after a 3 tier round cake stand, my fiancé's auntie is making our cake and the stand supplied by our venue is not the right size: the tiers she is making are 10, 8 and 6 inches.

Seen some on ebay etc, but they all have 'rings' for the cake bases and most of those rings are too big! if they were plates this would not be a problem but, of course, with a ring the cake base will simply fall through if it's too small.

I have already bought the bases so getting bigger bases isn't an option..

Does anyone know where I can hire a cake stand that would fit our requirements? Or buy one, if it is cheaper..?

Thank you in advance :)

Ask the cake making aunt. She should have a good idea what is available if she purchases her supplies from local shops. Mum in law used to make cakes and she used to hire various stands from cake decorating supplies shops.

What size are the bases you have bought for the cakes? Are you having a stand to hold the cakes apart rather than pillars and dowels between the cakes?

Thanks for your input Chez2..The cake-making aunt was the first port of call :) however, while she is a very good cake-maker she doesn't do them that often and not made a wedding cake for family for years! So she certainly never hires anything etc... and all the bits and pieces are family heirlooms :)

A few people recommended to try cake shops, will ring a few tomorrow.

My bases are 10,8 and 6 inches. If I understand correctly what you meant in the last bit, I need the stand to hold the cakes apart, not one that has a pillar in the middle - the pillar ones are for cupcakes I think, unless you try to impale the cake on the pillar lol :)

She must get her icing, colours and tools etc from somewhere, thats the place to ask about stand hire. It pays to shop local. ;)

You are wrong about the stands. The stand that holds the cake is relatively modern. They were about thirty years ago but very uncommon when the old fashioned icing was in use. Pillars are used to hold cakes when they are placed on top of each other rather than on a metal stand. Dowels are usually inserted inside the pillars to touch cake board to cake board to give support.

It sounds like you prefer a metal stand rather than pillars between the cake boards. If you can't hire one just buy one and sel it on. I had a quick Google and looked on yell but I can't find anything. People buying off the 'net rather than shopping local seems to have killed off the cake decorating shops mum in law used to use. Most shops making cakes would hire you their stand.

the shop on the gallery over the castle market , is now closed

I got mine from here, so cheap!! I wonder if they will relocate when the market moves down the Moor or if they have gone for good. Shame really they were really handy!!

The shop on the gallery has moved to Rotherham town centre,sorry not sure were but I know she aready had the shop before she moved x

The shop on the gallery has actually moved to Chesterfield, somewhere near B and Q. I make wedding cakes and the cakes bases (cake boards) are usually 3" larger than the cakes themselves. Are you sure that the 6,8,10 are not the sizes of the cakes and not the bases