Sheffield city centre - how would you change it?

Ban all unemployed then we might get decent shops instead of poundland and cex etc etc . last thing I want to see is a group of drunks or scummy mummy with a few bags full from poundland when I want to go out

could it be the large influx of students that has killed off the town centre. houses that used to be lived in by families around the town centre ie: sharrow, crookes, bramall lane etc are now occupied by students so families have had to move to the suburbs and probably find it easier to shop at out of town outlets.

I think you will probably find that the vast majority of students now live in and around the City Centre in many of the new delelopments that have sprung up in the last five years or so.

This has for example impacted on the pubs in places like Broomhill and Crookes.

The tacern at Broomhill is markedly less busy with students now than it used to be as are pubs like the Ball (Crookes) and the Hallamshire (Common side0

I think you will probably find that the vast majority of students now live in and around the City Centre in many of the new delelopments that have sprung up in the last five years or so.

This has for example impacted on the pubs in places like Broomhill and Crookes.

The tacern at Broomhill is markedly less busy with students now than it used to be as are pubs like the Ball (Crookes) and the Hallamshire (Common side0

I think that's because more students are drinking at home now before heading off to Bar One or wherever. You still see droves of students heading into town down Barber Road etc but they don't call into the local pubs like they used to - one of the reasons for the demise of the Hadfield. The off licences seem to be thriving.

Ban all unemployed then we might get decent shops instead of poundland and cex etc etc . last thing I want to see is a group of drunks or scummy mummy with a few bags full from poundland when I want to go out

Real intelligent coment,

I go to pound land for somethings because they are cheeper, so banning unemployed would not make poundland go away,

And as for scrummy mummy comment,seriously whats your problem, do they ignore you or something ?

The city centre will never improve while we tolerate people walking around with their tops off, smoking weed and drinking Stella, swearing, spitting and generally being an intimidating obstacle to any form of improvement in the city centre.

""" Sheffield city centre - how would you change it? """

Empty it of people, then a Nuclear Bomb?. Start rebuilding afresh.

Angel.

Real intelligent coment,

I go to pound land for somethings because they are cheeper, so banning unemployed would not make poundland go away,

And as for scrummy mummy comment,seriously whats your problem, do they ignore you or something ?

So you think Cex, cash converter should be in town centre? Are you on benefits by any chance?

I have a controversial and radical plan for towns like Sheffield where there are rivers running through lower ground where you sometimes get flooding.

Evidence from old maps demonstrates that during the whole of the 20th century and before, river courses were altered and straightened to provide building land for houses and other buildings.

My belief is that many riverbanks should be returned to riverside parkland to provide green spaces and flood protection to the nearby buildings. In exchange, the people and buildings displaced by this radical idea will be given permission to build a new build up to modern standards in the green belt at the outer edge of the city. This will push the existing green belt out by a small amount, while at the same time bringing new green corridors to some of the most congested areas, making parts of the city less dense and very much more attractive, but at the same time avoiding the loss of green belt.

The scheme would be able to compensate the existing rural landowners on the outskirts, as the value of their land would rocket due to the change from rural to building land. And this instrument would be the main driver of the scheme.

There would be many chances to incorporate new river parks like at nursery street and riverside pubs and restaurants in other areas of the city.

Edited by muddycoffee

So you think Cex, cash converter should be in town centre? Are you on benefits by any chance?

i have been and probably will be again at some point, as i am disabled and theres times when i need to go into hospital, but normally within 16 weeks i go back to work,

so it depends how you look at it, yes i am sometimes but most of the time im not,

But pound land, cash converters and money lenders are not just for people who are unemployed and scrummy muumy's as you called them,

or

Are you saying only that type of person does use them ?

The sad fact with Sheffield is that it just doesn't have the same amount of money flowing around as places such as Manchester and Leeds. In my opinion Sheffield should make parking free and encourage more independant shops to the city.

i have been and probably will be again at some point, as i am disabled and theres times when i need to go into hospital, but normally within 16 weeks i go back to work,

so it depends how you look at it, yes i am sometimes but most of the time im not,

But pound land, cash converters and money lenders are not just for people who are unemployed and scrummy muumy's as you called them,

or

Are you saying only that type of person does use them ?

I Dont see my bank manager going there or know any of my friends using those shops, Doesnt take much to manage ones finance

---------- Post added 24-08-2013 at 17:53 ----------

How often do you see people going to John lewis then cex afterwards? They shouldn't be in same area

we where talking to improve town, banning them from town would not work as they would never get to find work as job centers are in town centers not on out skirts.

theres over 2.5 mil unemployed with 500k jobs on offer approx,

where you goin to allow the other 2 mil to go ?

as for those lady's with poundland shopping bags they are shopping where they think it is cheeper, there's nothing wrong with that, if you dont like to see them, then theres a real quick easy solution.

Just dont go to town,

Problem solved