What is freecycle?

I know freecycle is a place where you can get free items the owner no longer wants.what I want to know is it a paper/magazine that comes out or is a online site?

Yep it is online .. if you type in Freecycle it will then give you a list of towns near you. I've got rid of loads of stuff that way .. it's nice to know that someone else can use something that I would otherwise have thrown away.

It's a place where people ask for cars and laptops and phones for free when really it's for stuff that doesn't have much or any value like old carpets or sofas or drawers and stuff.

I know freecycle is a place where you can get free items the owner no longer wants.what I want to know is it a paper/magazine that comes out or is a online site?

More importantly, it's a place where you can give away items you no longer want for free.

It's not a site I don't think, I think it's an e-mail service. When someone offers an item to the community it goes to everybody's inbox unless they choose the consolidate them all into one e-mail daily.

I think that's right but I wouldn't put money on it.

Don't join expecting to find much worthwhile stuff, people quite rightly don't tend to put valuable stuff on their, obviously, because they're not a charity case they'd just sell it if they could.

But if someone's got 200 old wooden pegs they've just replaced, that's the sort of thing that people put on there.

Put it this way, when bin collections moved to every two weeks, there was a whole lot more stuff put on freecycle.

Edited by Super Hans

Freecycle is a worldwide network of Yahoo groups which you join very much like a forum, choosing your closest group. You can set it up that you visit the group to see what is happening or you receive emails. I used to be a moderator on Sheffield Freecycle.

There's also another network of Yahoo groups called Freegle which operate very similarly, but with slight variations on the Freecycle concepts.

I've given away everything from a car to a sofa and received carpets, a whole room of furniture including the most beautiful teak futon :)

It's a Yahoo Group that has local groups. As said above, Google Freecycle and drill down to find your local site. You need to join to use it, you can opt to receive email notification of new posts.

Items on offer or wanted are posted on the group site, with an option to email the details to those members who opt to receive such emails.

It's also a site where people promise collect stuff and don't and where people don't even say thank you when offerred stuff, or have the courtesy to reply to email. There are also traders posing as individuals who sell stuff on Ebay or carboots.

Great site for getting rid of your unwanted crap and clutter without going to the expense of petrol to take it to the tip, and if it's not worth selling. One person's rubbish is another's treasure and if it's saves it from landfill all the better.

Hi fishermanlee I use Sheffield Freecycle its great and here is the link

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SheffieldCity-Freecycle/

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 11:09 ----------

Freegle is better - it has a more usable website. The freecycle yahoo group thing is a bit pants.

Why would you say that when Freegle uses exactly the same Yahoo 'thing' (your word not mine) as Freecycle! Are you trying to get more members for Freegle perhaps in dissing Freecycle? How childish of you and I hope people see you for what you are :)

Edited by Beccyboop

Hi fishermanlee I use Sheffield Freecycle its great and here is the link

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SheffieldCity-Freecycle/

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 11:09 ----------

Why would you say that when Freegle uses exactly the same Yahoo 'thing' (your word not mine) as Freecycle! Are you trying to get more members for Freegle perhaps in dissing Freecycle? How childish of you and I hope people see you for what you are :)

See this link

http://www.ilovefreegle.org/

Yes freegle has the yahoo group thing but also a much better website. The yahoo groups things is really pants. I'm in no way bothered who gets more members - i use both freecycle and freegle and am in no way affiliated to either. I use freegle more simply because it is BETTER! Is that childish?

For internet unsavvy, this is the link to the better freegle site (and boy is it better) for sheffield. You can even log in with facebook:

http://direct.ilovefreegle.org/main.php?action=look&groupid=10

Edited by TimmyR