What's Wakefield like to live in?

I've got a new job waiting for me there but have no idea what Wakefield is like. Is it any good? Or would I be better living in Leeds?

Depends entirely on where the job is and what your commute would be like really - it's easy to go between the city centres by rail. Wakefield is small enough that you can easily commute from the outside though without it taking very long at all and there some nice places to live around that wont break the bank. You are also close enough to Leeds to take advantage of the city facilities at the weekend or evenings too.

Its a large area, Wrenthorpe is really nice.

Its a large area, Wrenthorpe is really nice.

exactly. as above really, where you working?

I used to live in horbury and loved it... so much so I bought there.

The city centre!

I used to drive to Wakefield almost every day to work in the City centre, took me about 40 minutes in a morning setting off about 7am from near Crystal Peaks. The drive home used to take about 50 minutes leaving work about 4.15.

As a Wakefield resident, I can tell you it's dire, as reflected in our cheap house prices, abundance of £ shops (and empty ones), dirty streets, and rough pubs.

It does however appeal to incoming immigrants, due to the high number we have here. I suppose compared to Basra, coming to Wakefield is a step up - maybe!

Parts of the city are nice though, although they're outweighed by the amount of bad ones. Regeneration is taking place to improve the place, but whilst its controlled by an incompetent council, the fruits may not labour!

In short, it's your typical Northern town! Down on its luck, high unemployment, and full of people who tell you how proud they are of the place, whilst at the same time dropping their cr*p on the streets!

I think it might be better to concentrate on a decent area in Leeds!

I think it might be better to concentrate on a decent area in Leeds!

I'll echo that! :thumbsup:

You get more for your money in Wakefield housing wise than in Leeds.

I lived reasonbly close by in Huddersfield which is similarish to Wakefield: reasonably friendly people not bad (but not great) shopping centre

Great to people hear posting about Huddersfield, Horbury, Wrenthorpe and Wakefield :thumbsup: (Oooh Quarry Inn at Horbury as a lad...)

I'm a Dewsbury lad, not lived there since '81 though when I moved to Sheffield.

Lupset used to be the dodgy place in Wakefield back in the day. Times change - I know my home town of Dewsbury has dramatically changed in the years I've been in Sheffield.

My family came from Leeds and one of the nicer areas was Alwoodley but comuting from there might be almost the same time as from Sheffield (depending on your location in Sheffield)

If you do get relocated in Leeds though - nice city centre and shopping facilities!

Either way I'm 10,000 miles away from all of the above mentioned now.

Hope you get sorted, I'm sure you'll get further good advice on thread :thumbsup: