Vet for cats only

In live at walkley and use peak vets. I find them great. My main reason for changing was to that vets is due to their out of hours service. Nearly all other vets use pdsa who don't know your cats medical background and are VERY expensive. Out of hours treatment at peak is just double a normal consulatation cost I think, and will know your cats history.

In live at walkley and use peak vets. I find them great. My main reason for changing was to that vets is due to their out of hours service. Nearly all other vets use pdsa who don't know your cats medical background and are VERY expensive. Out of hours treatment at peak is just double a normal consulatation cost I think, and will know your cats history.

And they are in the list of those Cat Friendly Clinic's listed above :)

I started using Peak Vets after my brothers kitten/young cat got run over. They weren't their Vets, but they helped out regardless and were really lovely, organizing the cremation and everything.

So I thought they sounded nice - plus a lot of people on here recommended them too.

---------- Post added 18-08-2013 at 20:44 ----------

What is pdsa?

I believe PDSA is an organisation that helps people with certain benefits (like housing benefits etc.) pay for their pets treatment and medical needs.

"PDSA Vet Care services are available to pet owners who receive means tested help with their rent or Council Tax (Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support/Reduction)"

I have never been on benefits, so I would not be eligible for help, for example. I pay for myself, my home and my own pets treatments all myself.

Edited by Elizabeth13

Ok, I understand. I had no idea benefits apply to pets as well! It seems that Peak Vets are really worth a try!

And they are in the list of those Cat Friendly Clinic's listed above :)

I started using Peak Vets after my brothers kitten/young cat got run over. They weren't their Vets, but they helped out regardless and were really lovely, organizing the cremation and everything.

So I thought they sounded nice - plus a lot of people on here recommended them too.

---------- Post added 18-08-2013 at 20:44 ----------

I believe PDSA is an organisation that helps people with certain benefits (like housing benefits etc.) pay for their pets treatment and medical needs.

"PDSA Vet Care services are available to pet owners who receive means tested help with their rent or Council Tax (Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support/Reduction)"

I have never been on benefits, so I would not be eligible for help, for example. I pay for myself, my home and my own pets treatments all myself.

This is true but I'm not on any benefits. The pdsa run the out of hours service for lots of vets in sheffield. This isn't for People of benefits hence why it is so expensive. My old cat was having fits which had to be put to sleep. 12 hours treatment cost £600 and that was a few years ago.

This is true but I'm not on any benefits. The pdsa run the out of hours service for lots of vets in sheffield. This isn't for People of benefits hence why it is so expensive. My old cat was having fits which had to be put to sleep. 12 hours treatment cost £600 and that was a few years ago.

As far as I knew the out of hours vet aren't run by the PDSA, they only rent the building at night to provide a central base for emergency vet services?

When my sweet Dextercat was knocked down, last year, he was taken to the PDSA building, for the out of hours vet to deal with him as the person who took him there had no means of letting me know.

When they phoned me, to let me know he'd been hurt, I was able to confirm with them that I was registered with the PDSA so they moved him next door to them to continue his treatment.

Sadly he was too badly injured to survive :( .

The PDSA is a National Charity that provides free Veterinary treatment for people who are in receipt of qualifying benefits. (Income Support or Housing Benefit). They are based at Newhall Road in Attercliffe. Link here....

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/

Vets Now is a separate Veterinary business that operates an out of hours Emergency Service, but they pay an annual fee to the PDSA Charity to work from the same clinic & facilities. Most Vet Practices in Sheffield have opted out of providing their own 24/7 service at their own clinic & now pay a fee to the Vets Now organization to deal with clients who have out of hours emergencies. Link here...

http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/sheffield/

The two are completely different organizations (one is a Charity, the other a business) but many people confuse the two because of the shared premises.

Edited by spats
added a bit

Ok, I get it now. Easy to confuse the 2. It's that what is expensive for emergency care, peak vets have their own emergency clinic in their own surgery and is cheaper.