Cheapest place to buy a portable harddrive from?

Always used a 250g Seagate which someone bought for me and set up, its full of things I need so I want a second one. This is about 6yrs old.

I'm not computer technical so I want a plug in no set up required. where I can just drag and drop documents.

I was thinking maybe a bit bigger 500g this time.

Where is cheap, £39.99 for a WB Elements SE portable hd 500g. Is this cheap?

Thanks

try ebuyer or 7dayshop.com

You wont find one much cheaper than that, but you might be able to get a 750GB or even a 1TB for around the same price, or just a little more. 750GB portable USB hard drives are about £40 too & it's about £50 for a 1TB.

Edited by anywebsite

If your current drive is 6yrs old it may well fail soon, so i'd go for a 1TB drive and transfer those files to it. That's 250gb taken already before you add anything else, leaving you 750gb for future use, and two back ups.

I can get you a price on one as I work for a company that sells them so will get it at cost

You wont find one much cheaper than that, but you might be able to get a 750GB or even a 1TB for around the same price, or just a little more. 750GB portable USB hard drives are about £40 too & it's about £50 for a 1TB.

Where from?

Like Megalithic says 500gb will soon fill up. So while its cheap it might be a false economy.

Do you really need a small portable external drive (i.e. based on a 2.5" laptop hard drive)? You might be better going for a full sized one, but that will need a power socket.

Although saying that a 1Tb USB powered drive is only a few pound extra at Ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=price+ascending&4=1000+TO+2000&cat=393&page=1

I got a 2TB from currys at meadow hall a while back. Might have been on some kind of deal, but it was under £80. The only problem with going for the higher capacity drives is that some of them (1TB up usually) will need an external power source. In my car, i use a 250Gb for my music, draws it's power from the USB.

I've been happy with my iOmega EGO. I believe they do various sizes but mine is 1TB. It's very portable with a rubber jacket for protection. It's bus powered by firewire or USB so it doesn't need an external power supply making ti very quick to use on the go.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 21:58 ----------

I have another very similar iOmega one. They usually go for about £90 new, less for smaller drives, of course.

Google Shopping is a good place for a fast idea of where to buy. Online will pretty much certainly be cheapest for anything like this.

I have just ordered 2 of these for my son I have ordered a few of these for friends and they seem happy enough

1 to be a internal and 1 of these to make a external one

Where from?

I looked at ebuyer, but any other online retailer should have similar prices.