Walking someone elses dog as a favour - Insurance implications?

I was wondering if someone could help.

I've offered to walk someones dog free of charge whilst they're going through a period of illness (to avoid them having to rehome).

Do I still need insurance, or can I walk the dog under any insurance they might have? Or rather can I ask them to insure the dog and then me walk it under that insurance?

Why would you need insurance ?

In case the dog causes something whilst in their care, like if it attacks another dog that need veterinary treatment as a result.

I don't think anything would come of it if you didn't have insurance - realistically. But it would be the least the owner could do. I would ask the owner what insurance the dog has and ask them to make sure it is covered.

I don't think you can be held responsible though if you aren't accepting payment, I would guess that the responsibility lies with the owner still.

It's really kind of you to help this person and dog out :)

In case the dog causes something whilst in their care, like if it attacks another dog that need veterinary treatment as a result.

Being cynical, and 15 years in law does this to you, but have you ever tried getting an insurer to pay out on a dog bite claim?

Unless there's evidence that the dog has bitten before, the law says there's no claim, and the insurers won't pay out. If the dog has bitten before, and the insurers are told (being honest to them) they'll make the premiums sky high if not exclude bite incidents.

No win situation springs to mind. :(

Well literally I saw an advert at the local shop saying there was a young akita for sale due to illness.

So I'm still waiting for details, but pretty much I've asked if it's going to be a long term thing and if it's just a short term illness (less than 6 months) I said I'd be more than willing to walk the dog for them for free.

But I just wanted to double check what my offer would mean legally speaking. I thought there was a 'loop hole' if I didn't take payment. But wasn't sure.

It's that whole "No good deed goes un punished thing". I'd love to help them out, but I don't want it coming back to bite me *no pun intended*

Being cynical, and 15 years in law does this to you, but have you ever tried getting an insurer to pay out on a dog bite claim?

Unless there's evidence that the dog has bitten before, the law says there's no claim, and the insurers won't pay out. If the dog has bitten before, and the insurers are told (being honest to them) they'll make the premiums sky high if not exclude bite incidents.

No win situation springs to mind. :(

Well, I'm quite cynical too lol and wouldn't ever expect to win a claim under those circumstances (but it was the first example that sprang to mind why it would be a reason for the person wanting to walk someone else dog). If your dog was bitten by another dog, how are you going to even identify the owner to even get to the stage of making a claim.

I still think the owner should get insurance for the dog. The dog could injure itself whilst in the care of the walker and have a hefty vet bill, which the dog owner might want to pass on to the walker if they felt the walker was responsible.

---------- Post added 15-08-2013 at 22:49 ----------

Well literally I saw an advert at the local shop saying there was a young akita for sale due to illness.

So I'm still waiting for details, but pretty much I've asked if it's going to be a long term thing and if it's just a short term illness (less than 6 months) I said I'd be more than willing to walk the dog for them for free.

But I just wanted to double check what my offer would mean legally speaking. I thought there was a 'loop hole' if I didn't take payment. But wasn't sure.

It's that whole "No good deed goes un punished thing". I'd love to help them out, but I don't want it coming back to bite me *no pun intended*

Do you not know this dog then? I would meet it a few times and get to know the dog first, find out whether it pulls on the lead, if it is dog reactive etc. Know what you're taking on.

I think if you are not being paid, you will be fine.

I would say don't let the dog off lead either, and ascertain its reaction to other dogs. If it's not too dog friendly, keep away from other dogs on the walks.

If any problems occur, it will be the owners responsibility.

I'm in no rush.

That was pretty much my plan, get to know the person and the dog first. If it pulls on the lead that shouldn't be too hard to fix tbh. But yes I'd want to know a little bit more if they want to take me up on my offer.

Then I'll take it from there, it was the legal side I had no clue about. :)

Given what's been said i wouldn't bother with insurance. I know i wouldn't.

Household insurance usually covers the dog owner for third party incidents involving their pet. Walking a dog as a friend, you do not need insurance - the liability remains the owner's. It is only if you charge that you need insurance