Sheffield bus drivers

Never said it was easy, but I know as a person who has no interest in animals and has a big dislike for dogs, I wouldn't get a job as a vet because I like washing my hands.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 12:22 ----------

Because the oyster card was invented purely to rip off tourists...

How do you work that out when you get the fare half price if you use an Oyster card! They are very popular in London

So if their pass has expired you try to make them pay full fair rather than pointing out to them their pass has expired and asking if they'd like to renew it? Says it all really

You really are a moron

Slightly of topic.

My other half, who travels a lot, was really surprised to hear passengers saying thank you to the bus driver as they got off Sheffield buses. She said that, she'd never heard it anywhere else.

it's a yorkshire thing. they say it in hull too.

"cheers drive" :D

---------- Post added 17-08-2013 at 16:47 ----------

That's a new one on me...I don't think any driver has ever replied with a thank you, mind not sure I expect them too. I just do it as a force of habit, I always have, in Plymouth, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Walsall, Newton Abbot, Manchester, Burnley and even as a school kid in Germany.

really?

I get a thank you about 90% of the time when i've been getting off the bus

Sheffield busses are very very slow, it is not the drivers fault, they have to sell and check tickets, passes, as well as drive the bus.

Many people blame the drivers for things that are really not at all the drivers fault.

Everybody is allowed to have a bad day and when a driver has one I will not be stupid and ruin my own day as well. If the driver wants to be miserable, why should I be miserable, can't be bothered, let them if they want to.

Most Sheffield bus drivers are lovely helpfull hardworking people

Edited by dutch

Do Stagecoach drivers get intensive training when sacked or leaving first where they actually pass their test!! I know because most of them are mates, so saying they are politer or better drivers, get a life. And going back to the original comment they get fed up with students giving a £5, £10 or £20 note for a 80p fare, not only the odd one.

I do half agree with bus drivers about not wanting to be there, but then again, if they don't want to be there, hand in your notice and do a job you enjoy. Part of the job is customer service, if you just want to be a driver, get a delivery job.

I have noticed quite a difference between First and Stagecoach though, First drivers are about 95% grumpy sods who don't acknowledge you, look at you like your stupid and throw the bus around like they're driving the latest Ferrari around the Nurburgring. Where as Stagecoach tend to be quite polite, talk to you like a person if you're not sure where you're going or don't know the fare and seem to have actually passed a test for their license. They do still have the odd characteristics of First drivers though and vice versa.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 11:45 ----------

That I do completely agree with, if people are moaning about drivers not breaking rules to please them, then f**k em, if they can't get their lives in order then it's their problem, not the drivers.

Maybe it's because some students are taking the **** by trying to present an out of date pass to the driver then kicking up a stink when being charged full fare.

I'm always polite and smile at everyone but lately it seems there are quite a lot of arrogant people who get on and off without even acknowledging us.

What Fozzybear said:thumbsup:;)

I live near a bus terminus where the buses sit awhile before starting their journey. I have to cross a road when approaching a stationary bus and I can guarantee that at least 70% of drivers will start the bus and take off if I exhibit any signs at all of wanting to board their bus. I have taken to strolling casually along and looking anywhere but at the bus, when I draw level with the doors I leap on quickly - I don't shout 'Gotcha' out loud - but I think it. I am not a student by the way, I am old. A lot of bus drivers are mean to everybody, they should have training in kindliness.

Feeling unhappy, unsatisfied is a killer for anyone in any job. If a bus driver is unhappy, maybe they are going through a divorce and need extra support or understanding.

Bus drivers are human beings, they are not machines, and they deserve to be treated as human beings.

If they have a problem or difficulty try by starting with helping them instead of giving them a hard time and making matters worse for them and everybody else.

---------- Post added 19-08-2013 at 12:22 ----------

I live near a bus terminus where the buses sit awhile before starting their journey. I have to cross a road when approaching a stationary bus and I can guarantee that at least 70% of drivers will start the bus and take off if I exhibit any signs at all of wanting to board their bus. I have taken to strolling casually along and looking anywhere but at the bus, when I draw level with the doors I leap on quickly - I don't shout 'Gotcha' out loud - but I think it. I am not a student by the way, I am old. A lot of bus drivers are mean to everybody, they should have training in kindliness.

It gives a childish egoistic sense of pleasure to have the power to drive away and not let someone on when they are desperate.

When you are not running you don't give them that egoistic power pleasure and it becomes meaningless for them to race away. Your sense of willingness to wait for next bus makes them feel ashamed instead of happy to show who is the boss and they get more happy out of waiting for you.

Edited by dutch

It gives a childish egoistic sense of pleasure to have the power to drive away and not let someone on when they are desperate.

When you are not running you don't give them that egoistic power pleasure and it becomes meaningless for them to race away. Your sense of willingness to wait for next bus makes them feel ashamed instead of happy to show who is the boss and they get more happy out of waiting for you.

????????????????

One thing I have to say is the drivers for the Stagecoach Tram replacement buses have been a breathe of fresh air throughout the rail replacement process. Really patient and helpful whenever someone asks them a question, where they must get asked the same questions multiple times throughout the day. With most actually being really friendly and showing concern when people give them blank looks when being told directions!

Though I can't wait for the trams to start again... :)