Sheffield bus drivers

Slightly off topic.

My other half, who travels a lot, was really surprised to hear passengers saying thank you to the bus driver as they got off Sheffield buses. She said that, she'd never heard it anywhere else.

Edited by Steptoad

I have noticed quite a difference between First and Stagecoach though, First drivers are about 95% grumpy sods who don't acknowledge you, look at you like your stupid and throw the bus around like they're driving the latest Ferrari around the Nurburgring. Where as Stagecoach tend to be quite polite, talk to you like a person if you're not sure where you're going or don't know the fare and seem to have actually passed a test for their license. They do still have the odd characteristics of First drivers though and vice versa.

Tell this to the female stagecoach driver who seemed incredibly offended that I got on the bus asking for a ticket and had interrupted her pigging out on a packet of monster munch. My 50p was covered in pickled onion :rant:

I do half agree with bus drivers about not wanting to be there, but then again, if they don't want to be there, hand in your notice and do a job you enjoy. Part of the job is customer service, if you just want to be a driver, get a delivery job.

If only it was that easy...everybody would be in work!

So you don't issue student passes on busses then? Makes you wonder why they offer student weekly passes. You;'ve demonsrtrated the typical bus drive attitude, thanks for that.

Student Pass...Student Saver. Different things sold in different places. Got out of date saver? Yeah sell another one...got out of date pass issued in bus station? Full fare.

Kind of makes sense. Same if they ain't got money for a saver again.

Bit of common sense!? Can see you love bus drivers!

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 12:09 ----------

Tell this to the female stagecoach driver who seemed incredibly offended that I got on the bus asking for a ticket and had interrupted her pigging out on a packet of monster munch. My 50p was covered in pickled onion :rant:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Slightly of topic.

My other half, who travels a lot, was really surprised to hear passengers saying thank you to the bus driver as they got off Sheffield buses. She said that, she'd never heard it anywhere else.

When I go back to Cambridge the bus drivers practically faint when I say Thank You. And when my mum comes up here and the bus driver says thank you to her as she gets off she's astounded.

Why can't Sheffield and other cities have a Oyster Card system?

They did trial an oyster card like system, and it didn't work very well. So they ditched it.

If only it was that easy...everybody would be in work!

Never said it was easy, but I know as a person who has no interest in animals and has a big dislike for dogs, I wouldn't get a job as a vet because I like washing my hands.

---------- Post added 16-08-2013 at 12:22 ----------

Why can't Sheffield and other cities have a Oyster Card system?

Because the oyster card was invented purely to rip off tourists...

When I go back to Cambridge the bus drivers practically faint when I say Thank You. And when my mum comes up here and the bus driver says thank you to her as she gets off she's astounded.

I always say thank you. And I always did when I lived in Cambridge. That was the ol' 104/105 though. None of that C7 nonsense!

Ahhhh nostalgia!

That's a new one on me...I don't think any driver has ever replied with a thank you, mind not sure I expect them too. I just do it as a force of habit, I always have, in Plymouth, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Walsall, Newton Abbot, Manchester, Burnley and even as a school kid in Germany.

No, we only issue student week tickets upon presentation of a valid student pass. And you can't judge someone's attitude through a computer screen. So don't be so quick to judge.

They don't need a student pass, they need a current NUS card unless you're picking on little school kids or 16-18 year olds I think it is. And while we're on the subject, I've seen drivers bully little school kids dressed in their school uniform and a Friday and I've seen the same kid get on the bus with their mother the next day and the driver said nothing at all, nevermind ask for their pass.

You'll probably find that 99.9% of bus-drivers are pleasant.

First things to do when getting on the bus is

(1) Look cheeful. Admittedly it's difficult when peeing down with rain, as this morning.

(2) Have your money or pass ready. Give the correct money if you have it.

(3) Say " Thank You" or smile when you collect your ticket.

Bear in mind that the previous pax "may" have been grumpy old souls, just like me, and your smile may cheer him up.

You'll find similar problems elsewhere, in that 99.9% of the staff are extremely helpful.

If you do have a problem, ask yourself "what have I done" before critisizing the driver, or whoever. Mind you, it's never my fault if I'm miserable.

Oh another bus driver bashing thread then and the usual of a driver getting grief for doing his job correctly. I guess the people getting on his back always cut corners in their job:roll: