National Curriculum key stage 2 & 3

I want to find a list of engineering terms which link to the National Curriculum Key Stage 2 and Key Stage 3.

Any suggestions of where I can find this sort of detailed information?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks - that's really helpful. Are there any other sources? I also need to produce a more complicated list of technical engineering terms and then find ways to explain them in the context of KS2 and KS3. Is that possible?

There is an engineering unit of measurement known as the CH.

There is an even smaller unit of measurement known as an RCH.

It's not what you say - It's how you say it.

There is an engineering unit of measurement known as the CH.

There is an even smaller unit of measurement known as an RCH.

It's not what you say - It's how you say it.

Noted but unsuitable for organised school activities.

True enough!

I wish you well in your endeavours. The country does need Engineers (in spite of what some people think.)

Have you considered approaching Sheffield University for help? (There are more than a few good engineers there and I'm well aware that they are keen to support schools wishing to promote engineering as a career.)

You might be able to persuade them to send the odd (or even a normal) post-grad student down to talk to your students. (Particularly those in KS3.)

Thinking back to when I was in school, there was a massive 'disconnect' between schoolwork and those working in the professions we aspired (or thought about) joining.

We did get the occasional visit from (qualified) people 'from the real world' and the motivational effect that had on us 'non-people' was quite amazing.

I attended a lecture given by Marconi on Field Effect Transistors in the early 1960s. Most of it went straight over my head, but my performance in Physics lessons improved dramatically as a result.

Somebody from the 'real world' had taken the time to talk to me.

(Not that my teachers were slouches - they were pretty good - but the fact that somebody from outside cared enough to come and talk to us gave me an incredible boost.)

Thanks - that's really helpful. Are there any other sources? I also need to produce a more complicated list of technical engineering terms and then find ways to explain them in the context of KS2 and KS3. Is that possible?

This should give you something to work with:

http://www.engineering-dictionary.org/A/1/

True enough!

I wish you well in your endeavours.

Ta

The country does need Engineers (in spite of what some people think.)

ERROR = "country" to read "world" and replace the rest with "would grind to a complete halt within days without engineers."

This site lists all science words but is useful as it is in different formats and years.

However it appears not to have been updated since 2009.

The TES teaching resources section is well worth searching.

ERROR = "country" to read "world" and replace the rest with "would grind to a complete halt within days without engineers."

I can hardly disagree!

I live in Germany for 5 months of the year and in the US for the other 7.

Germany needs 70,000 Post-grad Engineers and it needs them NOW.

I asked a friend (who runs an Electronics Engineering Company) "What could an electronics engineer with a Dipl Ing (Masters' degree) expect to earn in Germany?"

His answer was: "I'll pay him 75,000 Euros a year. I'm recruiting world-wide and I just can't get the right people."

I don't know what the 'going rate' is in the US, but $75,000 doesn't sound too far off. (My engineer [ the one I was talking to my friend about] has a friend with a PhD [from Sheffield] who was recruited by an American Institution a couple of years ago. - That's what he gets.)

It's not about money, it's about career prospects and job satisfaction. Money doesn't buy happiness (though it can buy some pretty high-grade misery :hihi:)

There are jobs (particularly for engineers with post-graduate qualifications) out there - and the employers are competing (often unsuccessfully) with one another to fill them.