Awful smell of sewerage in Rotherham

Is there anything anybody could say about Rotherham which would help?

Should the British MapMakers delete Rotherham from their maps?

I do appreciate your reluctance to be associated with Rotherham, but erasing it from the map (do you want to erase the population as well?) is surely taking things a bit far?

---------- Post added 15-08-2013 at 04:20 ----------

Did Noone ever have anything good to say (or sing) about Rotherham?

I'm Henry the VIII, I Am

No Milk Today

I'm Into Something Good

There's a Kind of Hush

Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter

Naah... but for those of us who lived nearby, there was always 'Able Mabel's' - a horde of the most delectable ladies you might ever hope to meet.

Hello Rupert in Florida. I live in Rotherham and definitely am part of its population thank you. Who said anything about wantingto delete it from the map? I actuallty care about what happens in Rotherham thats why i started this thread.

I'm Ruprecht in Bayern at this time of the year. (I don't go to Florida for a month or two yet.)

I apologise if my comments about Rotherham offended you. (I can't help it if it smells.)

When I lived nearby (a few years ago) ' Rotherham' meant 'Able Mabel's' - Lady Mabel's Teacher training College. Probably the largest collection of eligible, intelligent and beautiful ladies in the UK (at that time.)

Mammaries Memories of my time there have more than a little to do with my reasons for posting on this forum. I have never ever (not before or since) come across such a collection of intelligent, beautiful ladies who were such fun to be with.

(I didn't marry one ... and that had nothing to do with the ladies at DRI who seemed to think I belonged to them.)

My life in S. Yorks in the early 70's was idyllic. (This is a family forum so I won't go into details.)

Edited by Rupert_Baehr

But in those days there was no pollution from the M1. If it is so lovely in Tinsley surely you would be living there now?
i think you hit the nail on the head there (pollution from the m1) i live in kimberworth and on certain days when walking on westhill you can see a cloud like smog/mist above the m1. also on droppingwell road im presumimg its eon/council but some kinds of filters have been fitted to the lamposts monoriting the air quality.

i think you hit the nail on the head there (pollution from the m1) i live in kimberworth and on certain days when walking on westhill you can see a cloud like smog/mist above the m1. also on droppingwell road im presumimg its eon/council but some kinds of filters have been fitted to the lamposts monoriting the air quality.

I know what you mean. I have seen this smog too. Very scary at times. Glad that the air quality is being monitored here. Although if its the M1 thats causing it then not alot can be done really.

I know what you mean. I have seen this smog too. Very scary at times. Glad that the air quality is being monitored here. Although if its the M1 thats causing it then not alot can be done really.
what we can propose to do is petition about the hard shoulder being used as a fourth lane, this will only increase pollution in this area even more. after asking a few neighbours ive found out there is a community hall just round the corner from the hill top pub but no group uses it such as a tara (tenants and residents action) ive talked to a few people who are willing to start one if we get enough members

what we can propose to do is petition about the hard shoulder being used as a fourth lane, this will only increase pollution in this area even more. after asking a few neighbours ive found out there is a community hall just round the corner from the hill top pub but no group uses it such as a tara (tenants and residents action) ive talked to a few people who are willing to start one if we get enough members

Yes that sounds like a brilliant idea. How should we all progress this? Perhaps we could pm each other with ideas etc?

So you would rather have 2 lanes of slow moving traffic belching fumes than 4 lanes of fast moving traffic passing through the area quickly leaving less pollution?

Sorry where did I say it was lovely, I said that I was born in Tinsley and was used to the smell and smoke from the factories and didn't suffer any of the effects mentioned (sickness, coughing and Asthma) Tinsley isn't lovely now, and same as a lot of areas has gone downhill. Please read posts before you comment.

There's some friendly people on here isn't there? :loopy:

We recently had a letter from Yorkshire water about the sewage works and problems with the incinerator at Blackburn meadows. We live in Kimberworth and have had to suffer the horrid smell all summer night and day here. Our eyes feel dry and we wake up feeling sck each day and exhausted. We are also coughing.

Has anyone else had problems with their health in this part of Rotherham?

The smell isn't caused by the incinerator itself; when that is operating properly there isn't much of a smell. The problem comes when, like now, the storage tanks are full, their "contents" have become too old and septic, and Yorkshire Water haven't taken the appropriate, costly, remedial steps to address this. They should be spending money on mobile centrifuges to rectify the issues and clearly aren't.

A few heavy rains and this will be in the rivers....that'll be fun.

Moderators can you please close this thread as clearly noone has anything to say about Rotherham that will help, thank you.

Perhaps they would be more helpful on RotherhamForum.co.uk :)

Thanks for the advice Jas but that was not the answer i was looking for lol