Kitten wanted for loving home

Hi does anyone have a kitten, free, loving home waiting

No such thing as a free kitten. By the time youve paid for injections, micro-chipping, neutering etc etc it works out cheaper to pay to adopt one from a rescue.

Hi does anyone have a kitten, free, loving home waiting

please please please adopt from a rescue! all of them are at their brim with kittens, young cats and older cats. For the cost of adoption, you really dont have to worry about anything in the first year.

http://www.catchat.org/adoption/yorkss.html

This a good start of rescues in need of adoption at the moment.

If you cant afford the adoption fee, you cant afford a cat - period.

I would highly recommend going to a rescue - the animal's welfare is of utmost importance, and this way you can be absolutely sure you aren't funding any form of kitten farm, and you are helping other needy cats and kittens in the process :-)

Sheffield Cat Shelter, Cat Protection or Sheffield RSPCA - fabulous package for what you pay for.

Agree with everything said - why risk taking a kitten in to your home that may be full of fleas, worms and ringworm (do you want your home infested or your family infected?!) when you can get one that's been checked out by a reputable organisation. People giving kittens away for free are highly unlikely to have shelled out money on the appropriate treatments for them.

It'll also cost less than the price of vacs/neutering/chipping if you paid for that yourself (included in the adoption fee).

It really is a no-brainer.

I know you all are trying to do well for rescues but have you thought about what people do to kittens they cant give away or sell because they have fleas or worms. I have saved 3 that there owners were going to dump or drowned because they were un wanted. Its not the kittens fault its not been taken care of. There just waiting for someone to love and look after them. The kittens in rescue are being loved and cared for. I just got a kitten from someone who wasnt looking after them and i paid for him. He has ear mites, riggled in fleas and no idea if he has worms but its costing alot to sort him but its worth every penny if it means he stays alive and well. So yes kittens from rescue work out cheaper but giving an unwanted kitten a home and sorting them out is more fulfilling and rewarding.. All kittens/cats deserve to be loved no matter were they are from..

Edited by Harmonymagic

I know you all are trying to do well for rescues but have you thought about what people do to kittens they cant give away or sell because they have fleas or worms. I have saved 3 that there owners were going to dump or drowned because they were un wanted. Its not the kittens fault its not been taken care of. There just waiting for someone to love and look after them. The kittens in rescue are being loved and cared for. I just got a kitten from someone who wasnt looking after them and i paid for him. He has ear mites, riggled in fleas and no idea if he has worms but its costing alot to sort him but its worth every penny if it means he stays alive and well. So yes kittens from rescue work out cheaper but giving an unwanted kitten a home and sorting them out is more fulfilling and rewarding.. All kittens/cats deserve to be loved no matter were they are from..

BUT if these people find they can't get rid of the kittens they might think about getting their cat neutered rather than letting it have litter after litter that they just pass on.

Worse are the ones who make a few quid each time selling them for £20 each or something - definitely never BUY a kitten from a seller (unless of course it's a pedigree you want) as all you're doing is worsening the problem of cat overpopulation.

Plus if people take kittens from the rescue, it frees up places for the poor sods like the one you got to go into, get sorted out properly, before being placed in suitable homes.

I can understand why people choose to get kittens from somewhere other than a rescue, but I dont think it is necessarilly helping in the long run. Yes, a little life has been saved, but by doing so you have probably just reinforced the idea that money can be made from indescriminate breeding. So the mum cat will be allowed to keep on & on having kittens, because even if the kittens are unwell or badly looked after, the caring or ill advised people of this world will take them off the breeders hands. And so it goes on. If the market exists, the products will keep being produced. However, most free kittens are the leftover litters that have not been able to be sold for cash. So HH has a point, just what will happen to those leftover free kittens if no one takes them?

Another reason why people may look for free kittens rather than go to a rescue, isn't always based on the perceived 'cost' of adopting. It is that sometimes people are put off by the thought of the adoption screening process & the stringent conditions that may apply if you want to get one from a Rescue. Not everyone wants to anwser questions about their home circumstances or have to go through a home check. If people dont like the idea or believe they will be turned away they will go elsewhere to get what they want.

Edited by spats
grammer

Its the same with anything thats wrong. If people buy then people will sell but if people dont buy then people will get rid of the kittens wrongly. Its more comforting to me knowing i paid for a kitten and saved it from a cruel end. The love you get from the kitten is worth every penny. I will have paid over £150 sorting out my new boy and that doesnt include the money I paid for him. But like my others the love, loyalty and friendship we get from them is worth saving them... I dont think some people realise how much it cost to keep them. If you get a cat/kitten from anywere think of the cost before hand. Hope you find your little friend shazowl no matter were you get him/her from.

It's a tricky one isn't it? I see your point - if you hadn't saved your little man he could have come to a sticky end. I'm really pleased he's safe and happy with you and not ending a short life as dog fighting bait or similar. However that could tell the person selling him that there's money to be made in this and go on to breed more litters - some of whom will be rescued by kind people like you, and others who won't be so lucky. If they hadn't been able to sell him, they are more likely to decide not to breed again. That's awful for the poor little one/s involved at that stage though.

I guess it comes down to whether you're looking short term and the small picture, or thinking more long term and looking at the bigger picture.

ps. It's all very well for me to say this - I'm very much on the side of rescues and not buying from private sellers - however, faced with individual kittens who could end up "free to 'good' home" and vulnerable to being collected by anything other than good homes - I'm not sure I could just walk away.

Edited by midgecat
added a bit