History of Hackenthorpe

a hundred or more years ago, wen Sheffield was not like it is today, it was based mainly aroud the town centre, but as the population grew and family's grew there was no room to house them Sheffield had plenty of out lying villages like Attercliffe I can't think of Attercliffe being a village but it was the same thing with norton, greenhill netheredge, and many more then the population was growing with the industrial revolution the council had to build more estates and invaded places like gleadless manor, hackenthorpe, woodhouse, parson cross wincobank shiregreen, all these estates grew out of a need to rehouse people in proper houses with gardens indoor toilets, with no squares of newspaper hanging from a nail in the door and bathrooms. that's why hackenthorpe and many other estates were built x

Many families just after WW2 had their name registered on the Sheffield Corporation Housing list as they needed family homes, husbands had recently returned from the forces and families were growing. Birley and Hackenthorpe Estates were built and occupied 1952/53 and were wonderful for families, brand new family sized houses with bathrooms, dining rooms and quite large gardens where children could play free from city pollution.

They were worlds away from the inner city terraced and old back to back houses which families had to endure.

can remember going to what we called woodhouse park to catch grass snakes then walk back thro the gorse to jermyn close to my mates

yea remember the gospel hall we used to go to a sunday school there there were toilets outside the gala used to be on the field every summer

The gospel hall was at one time used as part of the village school. The year was around 1955, I went there and had the shortest journey home. It was just across the road.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 11:13 ----------

no, the button factory is on church lane near hackenthorpe village . the hill is known as sally clarkes , between hackenthorpe and woodhouse

There was a massive red bridge on the hillside and around 1960 it was still there along with a factory nearby.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 11:15 ----------

What about miss cantor at rainbowforge school not a very nice headmistress ! Laurence hibble was a pal of mine.

Before Miss Cantor the headmaster was Mr. Bell. I think he was the first headmaster at Rainbow Forge School.